Ch. 9 - To All My Past Resignations

You see Dave standing in the cafeteria before school starts on Monday and you try desperately to make eye contact with him.

You can't tell if he's avoiding eye contact or just can't see you so you work up all the courage you have and walk over to him.

"Hi" You say tentatively when you reach where he's sitting.

"Well hello there" He greets you with a wide smile and you can't decide if he's acting like this because you were in front of people or he's just the nicest guy ever.

"You look different today" He observes "Mix-up at the dry cleaners?" He asks sarcastically, referring to your lack of cheerleading apparel.

"I quit." You shrug, "Well kind of...can we talk somewhere else" You say, motioning towards the doors out to the hallway.

"Sure" He says, waving to his friends as he gets up.

"Are you sure you're allowed to be seen with me?" He teases and you don't even bother to force a laugh.

"Well I'm single now." You state nonchalantly and he raises his eyebrows.

"Busy weekend for you huh?" He asks, "First quitting the cheerleading squad then quitting the boyfriend."

"Well technically first I was dumped by the boyfriend, but I would've dumped him if he hadn't done it first. And technically I was kicked off cheer but I was going to leave the team after basketball season ended anyway."

"You were kicked off? For what?" Dave asks, looking shocked.

"Well Drew was really pissed and told Christie what happened. Basically she kicked me off and tried to pass it off as enforcing the teams anti-drug policy but that's a load of bull because I know for a fact half the team smokes on occasion, even Christie...she was just pissed to lose one of her main connections to the basketball team. Now that I'm no longer a link to Drew she doesn't want me." You shrug.

"That's awful dude, I'm so sorry" Dave says placing a hand on your shoulder.

"Its fine, 'que sera, sera' I guess. That's not what I wanted to talk to you about" You reply, looking down at your shoes.

"What's up?" He asks, looking immensely curious.

"I just wanted to apologize for everything that happened last week," You begin and Dave stops walking and leans his back against a locker, "I can't believe Drew was being so rude and I'm just so unbelievably embarrassed that you were there for that. When I saw you had left I felt so horrible, I never wanted you to be pulled into something like that" You say and to your surprise Dave gives you another big smile.

"Don't apologize" He says softly, "If we're being honest I'm too happy about you being single to care at all about my involvement in it happening" He adds and you smile in spite of yourself.

"So you're really done with him?" Dave asks, grabbing you by the hand and pulling you closer to him.

"Yeah we're over." You whisper, close enough to Dave that you feel his breath against your cheek.

"I just needed to be sure, before..." Dave says, his voice trailing off at the end and before you know it he's kissing you. The kiss is deep and aggressive and you never would've dreamed of kissing Drew this way.

"I've wanted to do that since my fucking first day of school" Dave whispers and you laugh.

"You should've," You reply, "You would've made quite the impression, plus we would've been able to skip the two weeks of wasting time."

He laughs and kisses you again.

"God you're amazing at that." He says a few seconds later, when you separate because people were starting to go into the halls to walk to class.

"You are too" You respond moving away from the locker and beginning to walk down the hall.

After a few seconds of silence you ask the question that's on at least your mind, "So what are we?"

"So obsessed with labels Julia, its been 10 seconds since we kissed." He teases, "We're whatever you want us to be princess, your call"

"You don't care at all?" You ask, grinning at the nickname and trying not to register your disappointment but Dave can tell almost immediately.

"Look, obviously I want you to be my fucking girlfriend ok, that should be crystal clear by now" He says and you begin to smile, "But I don't wanna pressure you into anything directly after we figured our shit out"

"So you want me to be your girlfriend?" You ask, smiling widely and he laughs and kisses you lightly.

"Yes Julia, I do" He says and you slide your hand into his.

"Its settled then. I'm your girlfriend" You say and he rolls his eyes as you walk together to class, hand in hand.