Ch. 39 - I Could Not Forget You, Girl

"So... what was your favorite song you wrote for me?" You ask teasingly and Dave grins and puts his arm around you, pulling closer to him.

You were still in the immediate afterglow of sex, you dressed in only his button down from the ceremony and him in nothing but his boxers. All you had done the past ten minutes was catch up on all the stuff you'd missed in the past four years, you couldn't help but realize how much his life had changed.

He was lighting up a cigarette and you welcomed the smell for once, the smell of his favorite brand of cigarettes reminded you of him and you couldn't be any happier to be close to that smell again.

Even though it had only been a few minutes, every second since you'd slept together felt so right and brought you so much joy. Just the act of him handing you his shirt to put on made you want to both cry and kiss him, you were just too emotional at the thought of this reunion.

"Hm," He says, rubbing his chin contemplatively but you can tell he's half joking, "Probably Up in Arms. It just like gave me an outline of everything you'd ever made me feel, all I'd been through when it came to us, very therapeutic. But Jules the whole last album is about you basically, and I like that album. It's a hard choice"

"Ooh, so I could name any song on it and you can tell me how its about me?" You ask and he laughs again.

"Let's give it a shot—not all are love songs though, just a disclaimer, a couple are about other stuff" He warns before you start.

"Fine, Everlong?" You ask and he smiles.

"That was about that night at the docks, the first time. We sang along to some song, I think it was the Who or something and our voices just sounded pretty together and for some reason that hit me so hard, I wanted that moment to go on forever. Ever since that night I've been waiting for someone who can make me feel like that again and it's never happened"

His words move you to the point you could almost cry but you're so curious you pretend to not care much, instead moving on to another song.

"Wow, um...Walking After You?"

"That song is about our first and last break-ups, in 1986 and 1994 respectively. The song itself is about the most gut-wrenching, horrible feelings I had after. That was the hardest song to write, for this album I mean. Not the hardest of all time" He says, running his hand over the top of his hair and not looking at you.

When he looks up again a few seconds later he smiles and kisses your hand lovingly.

"Fine well then what was the hardest to write?" You ask, raising one eyebrow and his smile falters a little. He takes a long drag of his cigarette, seeming legitimately in deep thought this time.

"Well actually it wasn't even on the record, I think we released it as a b-side or something a while ago, its called How I Miss You. It was fucking brutal; it was at such a dark point. I was breaking up with Jennifer and it was the first time I'd been alone in a long time and the first time I'd ever really had to be just face what I'd done to you. All I wanted was for you to be a part of my life and I knew it couldn't happen, no matter how much I wanted it, and it was all my fault." He says gently and you regret bringing up such a sensitive topic.

"Well you should know by now that even if you think I'll never be in your life again chances are I probably will be, there just might be a little bit of a gap" You say, touching his neck and feeling the unfamiliar bare skin there.

"So what's up with the shorter hair Davey?" You ask, changing the subject quickly and he can't help but laugh.

"I don't know. Its just something I'm trying out" He answers with a shrug, "Do you not like it?" He asks, seeming self-conscious.

"I don't mind it, I've just never seen you look like such a square before" You say with a snort, "Its cute though, but very, very short. Better than when you cut it in 1992"

"Maybe it reflects the better life I have now versus the life I had in 1992" He says and when you give him a confused look he explains more, "I don't mean in my personal life, obviously things could still be better if you were still with me—"

"Good save Grohl" You interject with a smirk.

He rolls his eyes at you before continuing, "I meant with this band. A lot about this band makes me happier than Nirvana did" He continues.

"Maybe that's because you're the one in charge this time, I think I might know more than anyone how much you love to take control" You say suggestively and he pulls you in for another kiss, laughing all the while.

"Don't pretend like you don't love it" He says with a grin, kissing the tip of your nose, "Seriously though, being in Nirvana was great because we were young and we were friends for the most part and people loved the music so much, but it also had this like toxic, dark cloud hanging over it and the band I'm in now doesn't have that. Plus the guys in the band are truly my best friends—I'm gonna make sure you meet Taylor before you go back."

"Don't you mean once we get back?" You ask and he shakes his head, confusing you further.

"I live here now, I just bought a house in Virginia. I can't stand LA anymore" He explains, "The whole band has been living here for a few weeks while we write the album and I'm building a studio at my house so we can record it there."

"If you live in Virginia why were you on a date in Los Angeles a few weeks ago?" You ask and he grins at you sheepishly.

"Well maybe, just maybe I was kind of acting at the party when you told me you were the maid of honor and I seemed surprised. Maybe Annie had called me a few days before to tell me your role and had also warned me that I wouldn't be able to talk to you at all during the wedding weekend because you'd been so adamant about not contacting me over the past few years" He explains, a smirk on his face the entire time,

"And maybe I decided to take matters into my own hands and found a way to talk to you before the wedding, therefore breaking your streak so we would be able to hang out while you were here" He finishes and you laugh in spite of yourself.

"Oh my god Dave! I knew it couldn't have been a coincidence that you were there" You squeal and he winks at you, "How did you find a girl who worked there to be your date?" You ask as an afterthought.

"Uh well I'd sort of gone on a few dates with a girl who worked there—dates being a relative term" He says looking away from you and you raise your eyebrows, "Anyway she had mentioned it to me but I said no for a million reasons, but then after I talked to Annie it as saw a chance, it was all fate! I told the girl I'd go and I flew back for the weekend"

"I suppose it was. That poor girl" You sigh, leaning over and giving him a kiss before changing the subject.

"I should've known you'd end up in Virginia" You whisper, mostly to yourself, running your hands through his short hair.

"I should've always known you'd find your way out" He replies, "Lets go to sleep, I have something I'm excited to show you in the morning"

"If its your dick I'm leaving" You say sleepily as you settle down in bed and he snorts.

"Don't ever change princess" He sighs, spooning you, "Don't ever change"