Ch. 20 - Looking To The Sky To Save Me

You walk over to the seats by your terminal and sigh as you look at the board. You still have an hour until your flight starts boarding.

Just as you're about to pull out your book some stringy black hair catches your eye.

"Dave?" You yell in astonishment and everyone looks at you, Dave included.

"Julia?" He asks, in a much quieter tone but still looking just as surprised. You wave him over and he, somewhat hesitantly, walks over to you.

"I thought you were going home tomorrow?" You question as he walks over.

"Yeah I just really wanted to get home as soon as possible so I had our manager put me on an earlier flight, I swear I didn't know you would be on this" He explains uncomfortably.

"Dave its not like I have the plague, we can talk" You say and he gives you a forced smile.

"Come on, I don't want you to act like you hate me." You add and he sighs.

"I just don't know how to act around you" He says with a shrug.

"Just act like a normal person" You laugh, "Come on, the flight is delayed it doesn't take off for a while, let's get a drink."

"Oh yeah because that worked out so well the last time" He sighs but he does give you a more genuine smile than before.

"We'll pace ourselves this time, you don't need to be worried" You reply rolling your eyes and pulling him towards the airport bar.

You guys both get a beer and sit at the far end of the bar.

"So tell me more about your life, we reminisced a lot last time but we didn't really talk about what you've been up to" You say and he shrugs.

"Where do you want me to start?" He asks, lighting up a cigarette.

"Tell me about the tour after we broke up, the first time you went to Europe!" You say and he actually laughs.

"That's really where you want me to start?" He asks and you nod enthusiastically. "You are hard to read princess, I'm telling you"

"Don't try to tiptoe around the question" You say and his smile is back real. Its so infectious you're smiling too within seconds.

"Ok, ok. Well um obviously I was in the throws of depression for months...no actually years and I refused to go out in the sunlight, sort of like a vampire of grief I suppose. I didn't eat or drink or sleep, you might not believe it but for a whole year I didn't even breathe, I refused to let oxygen in or out—" He begins and you try as hard as you can not to interrupt him because you want to see how long he can keep going, but at some point you can't control yourself.

"Dave! Stop oh my god just tell me the story" You squeal and he can't stop himself from laughing too.

Just then you're interrupted by a voice over the loudspeaker, "Will all first class passengers on flight 1525 to Reagan Airport in DC please report to the gate"

"Saved by the bell" He says with a mischievous grin, "Sorry princess that's my cue, I guess you'll have to wait until our first layover to hear the rest of my tale"

"Of course you're in first class" You reply with an eye roll as he gets up.

"Here you go," He states, throwing a bill on the table, "Finish our drinks on me"

"Have fun with the other members of the elite, I'll stay back here with the rest of the proletariat" You yell and he ignores you.

You kill time at the bar finishing your beer and then his before they come back on the PA and announce your boarding group.