One

Aspen sat at the bench drinking her French vanilla latte from Starbucks while reading her formulas and studying. She was waiting for her best friend Jamie to come but he seemed to be running a little late.

She didn't even notice because she was so into studying, nothing else was on her mind. Getting interrupted she looked up expecting it to be Jamie but it wasn't, it was a boy she have never seen before.

Licking his lips, he looked down at her book then her face. "I just came over here to tell you how beautiful you are."

Smiling, she tucked some hair behind her hair. "Thank you."

"I'm Malik and you?"

"Aspen."

"As in the city?" He asked making her nod. "Beautiful name for a beautiful girl, nice to meet you."

She blushed at his corny line but shook his hand anyways. He held her hand bringing it to his lips to place a gentle kiss on her knuckles.

"May I ask what you're studying for?"

"Nothing in particular, I'm going to be a scientist one day so I study just to study."

"You go here?" He asked referring to Clark Atlanta University since she was sitting on campus.

"No but I'm thinking about it."

"What others do you have in mind?"

"Savannah State, Albany State, Fort Valley or Spelman."

"So you want to stay in state and go to a HBCU?"

"Pretty much."

Looking at his watch, he sighed. "As much I enjoy talking to you, my afternoon class starts in ten minutes."

"Oh? You go here?"

"Nah, I go to Morehouse but my Friday classes are here."

"May I ask your major?"

"Philosophy." He spoke peeking her interest.

"Wasn't expecting that." She drank her latte.

"I get the same reaction every time I tell someone." He chuckled. "As I mentioned, I have to go but can I get your number?"

She never gave out her number to people she didn't know but he didn't seem like anything was wrong with him. She grabbed his phone that was stretched out to her entering her number, saving it as her name.

"I'll call you beautiful." He spoke getting up just as Jamie was walking up.

"Who that?" His deep voice asked scaring her.

"Just someone who came to make conversation."

"For what?"

"Someone can't just come converse with me?"

"Nah, people always have an ulterior motive so what was his?"

"Nothing." She repeated growing irritated by the question. "He literally sat down, complimented me then we talked about school."

"So his motive was to try to talk to you." He nodded.

"Maybe if you were here on time no one would come up to me." She rolled her eyes.

"I'm five minutes late."

"And while you were being held up, someone was trying to get to know me."

"You saying that as if I don't know everything about you." He furrowed his eyebrows.

"You don't know me." She joked.