Ch 12: Only One Way Out

Izuku had been going through the same motions day after day, wake up before the crack of dawn train for a couple hours, get cleaned up, go to general dep., go train some more, listen to Nezu's advanced classes, sleep. That's how his days have been going for the past two weeks and a half, it was starting to get old but what was he going to do about that. 

"Grab the person next to you and that will be your partner for the project" Sachi-sensei said as Izuku looked to his left to find a sleeping lavender headed boy fast asleep. Tapping the boy's shoulder he stirred awake.

"Is it lunch time already?" Shinsou asked looking over at Izuku with his usual tired expression.

"No we have to partner up for a project, I figure you wouldn't mind" Izuku said looking at Shinsou with a bored expression.

"sure why not.....so what do we have to do?" Shinso asked looking at Izuku, who then proceeded to explain what they would be doing. Over the last two weeks and a half these two had started talking to one another more. Izuku still kept his guard high and Shinsou at arms length at all times, but Shinsou was a different story he was starting to grow fond of Izuku. Shinsou hadn't really been shown much kindness since he was little, his mother had died giving birth to him and his father felt so much pain whenever he looked at him. Though he knew he was loved it was very distant and anyone else would say he would soon be a villain, or that a quirk like his could never be used for good. Izuku was different from everyone, he didn't care what his quirk was, he didn't care who he was really and he treated him like he did everyone else. It was something strange for Shinsou but it felt warm and he didn't want to loose this relationship with Izuku whatever it maybe.

Once lunch rolled around Shinsou stopped Izuku just like he did on their first day meeting "Hay....um...Tsukauchi-kun why don't we eat lunch together?" Shinsou asked looking at Izuku with a hopeful gleam in his normally dead eyes. Izuku couldn't help but remember when he used to be this hopeful whenever he would ask Bakugo to eat lunch with him, only to be turned down every time.

"Sure why not" Izuku said shrugging his shoulders and waiting for Shinsou to get his stuff together. Izuku then followed Shinsou to the cafeteria, silence filled the halls as they were the last to leave.

"Hay Tsukauchi-kun how come no one ever sees you in the cafeteria?" Shinsou asked looking over at Izuku.

" I don't eat lunch" Izuku said continuing to look straight a head. Shinsou was having trouble trying to start up some small talk with Izuku who always seemed to answer in a short and to the point way.

As Izuku waited for Shinsou to get through the lunch line he watched, he watched how the students interacted. Just how carefree everyone was and how easily they laughed and joked with one another. That is something that Izuku did miss about his old life, he missed how he could do things like everyone else without the creeping feeling that he was inching towards death. A few girls noticed Izuku, who instead of letting his hair drape in front of his face to hide his features he split it to the left side. With his exposed face many of the girls were going crazy over him along with several boys. Drawing attention to himself was something that Izuku liked to avoid so he ruffed his messy hair so that it covered half of his face. Eventually Shinsou made his way over to Izuku.

"want to go eat outside, it's pretty nice out there" Shinsou said trying to break the silence once again. To which Izuku only nodded, the two made their way to the outside tables. There weren't as many students here, that was one thing Izuku liked, Shinsou lead Izuku to one of the back tables so that no one would really pay any attention to them.

"So Shinso what'd you want to talk about?" Izuku asked knowing Shinsou had been trying to break the ice.

"well...if you don't mind I just want to try and get to know you a little better, I know it's only been like two weeks but you seem like a nice guy" Shinsou said playing with his food a bit. Izuku didn't really like talking about himself but it might do him some good.