Chapter 14. Heartbeat

{Location: Crystal Pass}(Seliel's POV)

I'm running as fast as I can, Marci's thigh isn't looking so good. A hole the size of my fist is gushing blood, she's whimpering as the sword has to stay in there until I get to the clinic. Which is in sight a head now. "Almost there." I try opening the white door while holding Marci. Who's deathly pale now. Crap. I can't open the door. "I'm gonna set you down for a sec," I place her next to the door and punch the glass. Nothing. I try again, this time with a bloody fist and broken glass as the result.

"I thought you had keys," Marci attempts a smile in this stage.

"Not the time." I pull open the door and pick her back up as she winces in pain. I set her on the closets exam table. "Marci, don't panic. I'm gonna save you." I promise as I rush around for supplies.

"What can I help with?" Victor peaks in. Something of a smirk is on his face, "S.Q."

I glance as I lick my lips, "Stay out of my way."

Victor backs up to the waiting room as the table paper is bloody now.

I start by ripping apart the cloth near the area where the wound is. I pull out the sword and lean it on the wall. I reach behind me, I've seen my Mom do this a hundred times but...no time for buts. Marci needs my help, "This is going to sting." I pour a lot onto a towel.

I press it to her thigh, "OWW!" She almost lurches up and holds herself down.

"Sorry."

"And I thought the sword hurt." Marci chuckles under her breath.

"It won't hurt for long." I rummage around for an ace bandage. Come on, come on, where is it?

"Seliel," Marci whimpers, "If I don't make it.."

"No. I won't lose you. I refuse." My lips quiver and my eyes water. I grab the only available ace bandage and cloth. "You're not done here."

"Seliel, I didn't say when I said if." Marci stares at the ceiling as Victor comes back anyway. He pulls out the heart monitor and places the reader on her wrist, "If I don't make it. Please, just smile for me a little."

"We can smile together." I put more pressure on her thigh. I won't lose her. I won't. I won't let it happen again, "Don't talk like that."

Beep. Beep. The machine is showing slower and slower beeps. No. No. NO!

Marci swallows as her blinkers get slower, "There's a bright side to everything. That how we see in the darkness. There is always something positive." She now coughs a little.

"Marci," I grip her hand and keep putting pressure on. She's gonna live. She has to. She has to live, "Hold on please."

"You just have to look." Marci keeps talking.

Beep.......beep.......beeep.

It's taking longer now.

No.

This can't happen.

Not again.

Marci's blood won't stop coming out, even I know a hit like that is fatal. Marci whimpers, "Stay positive. Not everything sucks."

I'm crying buckets. No. "Marci."

"I'll be ok. I'm just a sidekick. You're the hero, Seliel." She gives me one more faint smile, "But heroes don't always have to be so brooding."

Beep. Beep. BEEEEP.

The machine screams as Marci stares at the ceiling and doesn't blink.

My hand is shaky as I lower her eyes for her. Victor takes the heart monitor off. He lets loose small tears.