Chapter 26. Mind over form

{Location: 1st and Main}(Seliel's POV)[Months later]

I can't be late. I can't get caught either. I push myself through crowds of people to get to the stage. I still have a hard time believing my eyes. There's a small party in my honor. All volunteers, no influence from my Dad or anything. Well, I guess it isn't technically my honor but the Phantom Ninja's. I climb on the back of the stage and quietly place myself next to my Dad.

He smiles at me, "Glad you could make it," He checks his watch, "And 5 minutes ahead of time."

"Wait, what?" I look at mine. 1:15. The ceremony should have started by now.

"I may have set your watch ahead." Dad snickers under his breath.

I half roll my eyes as people run around taking care of small last minute details, "Thanks for keeping me on track."

Dad pulls me into a small side hug, "Anything for my little girl."

"Who's not so little anymore." Ironically, and with my heels, I've got a small inch on him.

Dad sighs a little, "I know. You're all grown up, with a college degree...and still living in my house."

I shake my head as a crowd gathers, "I'm looking. It's just I kinda need a job first."

"I thought volunteering at the station was enough."

"Yeah, I may have gotten the boot after the whole Crown Que," I smirk as a panel of glass passes me.

I sorta look like Mom. I have a long blue skirt, a tight light blue tank top and a thin light grey sweater with my black high heels. My hair is tied into a long braid over my shoulder.

Dad lets go as the crowd thickens, "I'm sure things will start to work out."

"I have a feeling you're right." I watch as people find their places. Maybe I could find a place with AJ. After doing a little job hunting of course.

Soon Dad steps up to the stand, taps the mic a few times as the crowd quiets down. He clears his throat and holds up his notecards, "We are here, today, one of the first few days of spring, the time of renewing, for a renewing of our own." He changes cards as the curtain ruffles behind him, "At this time last year, our home was played by ruffians lead by people we once trusted."

Some people boo and hiss.

Dad lets them get it out then flips to the next card, "But this year. Someone came through for us. Someone with quick wit and courage chased off the Yellow Tiger Gang."

Now there are cheers. I try really hard to not smile too much. I remember my cue and pull out my phone then pull up my texting app.

"Someone dispute a ruff and a mysterious start has continued their good work in our high mountain home. Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to introduce for the first time in public, The Phantom Ninja." Dad steps back as the Phantom Ninja pushes through the red curtain.

She waves as she walks to the stand.

My eyes flicker down to my seat as some chairs are set behind us. I type as fast as my thumbs will let me.

The Phantom Ninja warms their throat, "Thank you." Then takes a deep breath, "I have no words. I never expected this," he points around to everyone and the decorations, "When I set out that first night...well, I think it was a night no one expected."

I shake out my thumbs as I ready then next paragraph.

"That night, when the nindroids attacked." The crowd gets quiet as the Phantom Ninja pauses, "I'm not gonna lie, that night stunk. We lost a beloved member of our community, we lost parts of our mine, lost parts of our homes. But that was wrong." The Phantom Ninja slams her fist down, "It wasn't fair to us, someone should have prevented it. I don't know about you, but was anyone else expecting a few more well-known heroes to save us."