Epilogue: Ninjas and tombstones

{Location: Crystal Pass' cemetery}(Seliel's POV)

I hold light blue tulips in my hands. The sun is almost set and some part of me thinks of Jezzie, how there's way more she's connected to. But I haven't been here in awhile. I look around, there are dozens of sunflowers growing wildly. I grab a knife and cut a few down. With blue flowers in one hand and yellow ones in the other, I walk in. I can't help but look up as the clouds move quietly. I hope there are stars tonight when I train. Then I stop. I turn right and stop 3 graves in. Marci's grave. I place the sunflowers on the headstone then stand back up, "Hey. So, AJ is still mad at me. And I'm not letting her get away. I am really trying. But maybe it's time for new friends." I wonder who could possibly want to make friends with a girl who is always on the go and disappearing, "I haven't had much to do. Crystal Pass is safe. I think it's time I move onto bigger places."

The wind blows around and one of the posters from my festive floats down in front of me. Something about the wind isn't normal. Almost as if someone is forcing it to move. I smile at the poster as I bend down and pick it up, "I wish you saw it. The festive was perfect. A total Marci Black party." I let the paper back into the wind as the sun casts its evening glow, "I miss you. I'm glad you are where you are, but....I feel so alone. I know my Dad means well, but...parents can't be friends. No matter how hard they try. Well, that's not true. I guess I'd just like some people my own age to hang out with."

The wind suddenly stops as the flowers spin around to face me.

I smile as I picture how I last saw Marci, a cute little girl, "I know it will happen. I just don't like being bored." I think back to Jezzie, something tells me I'll become very busy with her, "And now I have to fight someone new on my own. I haven't done that for almost 3 years. You were my first partner." I think to her smile, "I guess I work better in a team or something. I have another place to be. I promise to come back." I turn around and head back to the path. I walk to the front then stop and turn right and head to the last headstone that has the cleanest look to it. Mom's grave. I look at the letters above her name, 'For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.'

I place the tulips on her headstone. I take my helmet off as I try and not tear up, "Hey Mom. I know I've come to see you as Seliel before. But I thought you'd like to see me as the Phantom Ninja," I pretend to show off like I did when I got that ninja costume for Marci's party, "I listened to the tapes. All of them. It took me a while, life got in the way but I heard them all. All 10." No waterworks. NO WATERWORKS. "And I have something to tell you. I don't think you are a bad person. You had one of the absolute worst situations I've heard. But your mistakes don't define you. Your shame can't be a part of you. Not if you'd change it to every part of you. I heard everything, all the horrid details of you first beating Eye zore, to attempted assassination on Wu, to the last work on them. And I don't think of you as a monster. You're still my hero. I don't think anything could change that," I pick at the grass, "And I've made my own mistake. Which managed to chase off a pretty close friend."

I think I hear everyone in town close their doors and windows. It's probably someone's overreaction to something.

"I miss you." I wipe my cheeks as the sun disappears behind the horizon, "I don't think I'll ever stop missing you. But I hope I've made you proud in some way. I gave everything I did my all, just like you taught me." I close my eyes as I remember her face on that horrible night, "Just like a true Ninja." I stand up, pretending in my mind that I'm clinging to her. Begging for her not to leave, "I miss you. I wish you never left. Your mistakes are understandable. And I wish I heard them from you," Maybe someday I'll meet the Chen who made my Mom's life a disaster, "I've done so much. I survived so much. Just like a true Ninja. I hope I made you proud." I look up, hoping to see another shooting star, "And now, I have a new foe. Maybe I'll do this on my own, maybe destiny will send someone else to help me. I just hope in whatever happens next, I'll make you proud."

I feel the sting of her missing presents again as I turn around and walk through alleys back home. It's after 6. Dad is home warming the chill. My mind slowly repeats me running to my Mom on that one night.

When my hope died.

When that eclipse happened.

And when the Phantom Ninja was truly born.

I look up to see I'm already home. I get way too distracted from gloomy thoughts like those. I open the door to smell chillie.

Dad drops a pan, "Hey. Come help me? I grabbed way too many bowls and they're taking over."

I snicker as I walk into to help him. I pick up soft styrofoam bowl as he stirs the chillie, "You are safe from the evil bowls, good citizen."

"Thank you," he pulls the spoon out of the crockpot and puts the lid on, "Now, I got the strangest report about a fight between you and a purple lady."

I nod, "True. Which is why I came back. She's tough. I need a restock." I head to the backyard, "And your day?"

"Boring after you left." Dad watches me as I grab katanas, knives and acupuncture needles.

"I bet," I grab one more knife and a few smoke bombs, "That means you'll have to entertain yourself as I go kick bad guy butt." I head back inside.

Dad frowns, "Hey, what have we said about carrying more the 10 weapons around in the house?" He follows me as I hurry my pace.

I pull open the door, make sure my helmet it secure, "Well now I'm not in the house." I manage to close the door before he catches me. I look out on Crystal Pass. The sun is gone as I step off my porch. My eyes wander around until they settle on my Mom's statue.

Something's different.

Someone wearing a red ninja uniform holds up a poster, "What's a Phantom Ninja?" I know that voice. So cocky it could be fire.

Someone in a similar outfit but in grey shrugs, "Maybe the town mascot or something." That voice I don't know.

They're here. The Ninja finally made it to Crystal Pass.

They're three years late.

I rapidly read the information from my heads-up display as my fingers reach for the button that works the trapdoor they're close to. I loosen my helmet a little as they loiter around my mother's statue.

"Funny," The white one, Zane, frowns, "There is nothing in my database."

I stop halfway down the hill. I've fought gangs, Victor Crown, Jordan and Edward Nom, survived falling down a cliff and fought 2 elemental masters. I can handle 6 ninjas. "YOU'VE GOT SOME NERVE COMING HERE!" I scream as my voice changer works fine. They look at me as some leftover fangirl side of me wants to melt at the Black one, Cole, looking at me.

No. That isn't me anymore.

I'm Seliel Amara Quartzstone. The Phantom Ninja. I will protect what they can't. I tuck down whatever non-angry feelings I have for Cole deep into me. I'm not their fan. And they aren't exactly doing anything wrong.

But maybe I'm not as far as I thought with getting over their abandonment.

And this is the end of the line. No sequel but I have another backstory book in the works. This has honestly been an amazing journey. I've had so much joy from writing this and I couldn't have gotten here without you, my wonderful readers and commenters. So from the bottom of my heart, thank you. 

But if you're feeling the mood for more Seliel action, check out my other book, Undeniable, Chapter 27 (But I'd suggest popping over to Unpredictable on AllyMp3's page for a better understanding. ) Or you can start reading my other story, the Island Princess. Featuring Skylor's backstory.

Again, thank you all so much for coming here and reading Seliel's the story. You have all brought my smiles. Thank you and don't forget to comment, vote or even share this with someone you know. Bye!~W.R.