Chapter 23. Role models

{Location: The Mayor's house}(Dawn's POV)[Years ago]

"Honey," James playfully brushed hair out of my face, "You feeling ok?"

I can't help but chuckle. Ever since I hit month 9, James checks up on me every 5 seconds.And that's on top of his job and him reserving future doctor classes for me. "I'm fine," I lean up, so far the living room and the kitchen are finished. And the bedrooms don't have beds, making James and I have to sleep on the couch, "And so is the baby."

James pulls out a long sheet of paper, "We still need to decide on a baby name."

"I know, but the baby's gender is still a surprise, remember." I feel my eyes flicker around. Am I ready to bring a child into this world? With the distant but ever-present threat of Chen. Maybe I'll be horrible and my kid will hate me. Can I do this? Can I be a good mom if I'm not a good person?

"I know," James holds his hands up in mock defense, "But what do you think she'll want to be when she gets older?"

"How can you be sure it's a she?" I slowly push myself off the couch, I really have to use the restroom. "What if it's a he?" I waddle towards the restroom.

"I just have a feeling." James leans back to stretch.

I smile as I turn on the sink to wash my face. I bend over when my lower region begins cramping up. There's a small puddle under me as the pain is indescribable. But then it goes away. I dry my face, going nice and slow as another cramp hits. I waddle to the doorway, "James," He perks up, should I even tell him? It could be a false alarm. I may not even- ouch! Nope, not a false alarm, "I think it's time."

James jumps hits his knee on the coffee table as his jaw drops to the floor, "WHAT!? YOU'RE NOT DUE FOR ANOTHER TWO WEEKS!"

I'm able to breathe for a second before the contractions come back, "I don't think the kid can read a calendar." I waddle a little into the hallway as James holds still, "Well, aren't you gonna get the baby bag?"

"Oh, right." James charges upstairs as I slowly wobble to the car. James is like a tornado, grabbing snacks, baby bottles and a large white and pink duffle bag. I grab the keys from the counter as he now runs around in his boxers. I climb into the passenger side as I try to keep my lips button and not scream.

Was this a bad idea? I'm not ready to be a Mom. This kid will always be in danger because of me. James is one thing, whoever comes out soon is another matter. I can't be a Mom. I'll fail. I patiently wait in the car as James throws things in the back then jumps into the driver's seat.

He pats around, "Keys, keys, keys," His voice rises.

"Honey," I hold up a long black and silver car key, "Here."

"Oh thank goodness," James grabs them, starts the car, runs out to open the garage door then runs back to back up, "Can you call the hospital?"

"Crystal Pass doesn't have a hospital." I grunt as the contraction fades, "The closest one is in Kona."

James almost breaks the speed limits as we fly through Crystal to the highway out, "We're just gonna have to gun it."

Oh boy, here comes another, "I don't know how far we can make it." I scream. Good glory this hurts. My body wants to lurch up but can't from the seat belt.

"Just hold it in or something." James almost launches us off the cliff as police light follow us, "Perfect." James pulls over and quickly explains the situation. He wins the cop over, who leads us down the mountain, clearing a way for us.

James comes back and puts the pedal to the medal with the cop.

I don't know if I can do this.

What am I doing?