Chapter 28. Farewell friends

{Location: Close to AJ's apartment on the first floor} (AJ's POV)

"I can't believe her," I growl as I pull over. I'm too mad to drive. I pull into my spot I pull my walkie-talkie to my face, "This is Officer Mayers. I am leaving the force. I've been thinking about this for a while and recent changes in my life have helped make up my mind. I'm sorry that this is short notice but I have to go sooner rather than later. I'll swing by and drop off my uniforms and the car. Good-bye." I click the thing off as I pull the keys out. I open the door then hide the keys under the visor. I hit lock the doors but leave the driver's door unlocked. I slam the door close as my watch beeps telling me it's the end of my shift. I storm past my neighbor's, ignore the manager as I head to my room. I pull my keys out, unlock the door then close it again. I lock it as I step on my mail. I pick my foot up as I bend over to the mail. There's a note on the face, 'Hey, AJ. Figure I'd help you get out of your comfort zone. Me and my Dad did a little looking around and found an opening or two at an FBI school closer to New Ninjago City. -Hoping this is what you and Marci wanted, Seliel.' I pull the note of and crumple it in my hand. I have at least 5 letters here, all from very important looking people.

I have been looking into this, I look around, some of my things are already in boxes. Not a lot, just little things like clothes and books. My managers know of me possibly leaving, my fellow officer will understand. I take a second look at the letters, the more I think about it, the more I want to be a detective. I can't take this. If Seliel is so quick to jump the gun I don't think I can work with the Phantom Ninja anymore. I throw the note into my trash can, "If she wants me gone so bad. I'll just go." I hold in tears as I run to my bedroom and grab as many bags as I can carry.

I'm leaving Crystal Pass.

I'm leaving the Phantom ninja and all her made up problems.

It's time for me to think about me.

It's not at all like I'm running away from one of my closest friends I've ever made.

There's something wrong with my eyes as liquid drops onto my packing. Then the door knocks, I rush over to open it, maybe it's Seliel, wanting to say sorry, I pull the door open to my neighbor, Mr. Dreck.

He's nothing more than an older fellow with brown balding hair, "Hey, Neighbor. I saw you rush in here with a cop car parked outside. I also spotted some funky backpack doohickey in there."

The jetpack. I knew I forgot something. I swiped it after Seliel shut the door on me. I didn't want to run the risk of her getting to the station any faster. I mutter, "thanks," and move to take the jetpack with me.

"You ok? You look like you've been crying." He folds his arms as I push past him.

"I'm just sad." I have no time to spill my guts, "I just found out I'm moving to New Ninjago city."

"Hey, congratulations." He smiles with a thumbs up.

"Yeah," I retrace my steps to my cop car, "It's just fantastic."

If it's all I wanted, why do I feel like crying?

(Seliel's POV)[10 minutes later]

I slam my hands on the counter. Some manager I don't recognize as I bend over from being out of breath stares at me. I pull myself up as I am tired from taking the long way here, "I'm...looking for a friend of....mine. Is AJ Mayers still here?"

"Yeah," He points to the first room on my left, "I just saw her before I had a 5-minute break."

"Thanks," I push myself as some dude with darker skin steps in front of me.

"Hi," He pushes his hand out to shake mine, "I hear you were talking about my neighbor AJ."

"Yeah," I try moving around him. I hope I'm not too late.