Chapter 30. The purple lady

{Location: The clinic}(Seliel's POV)

I breathe heavily as I open the door, I have a large black duffle bag on my back which was not seen by anyone as it looks ridiculous to carry such a thing. I head to the back room, set the bag down on the desk, open the cabinet door, then place the bag back in. I pull open the zipper, 9 cassette tapes are tossed around inside. I couldn't find tape number 9. I think I left it in my jetpack or something. I push the bag further in then shut the door. I look around my fingers glide over multiple medical procedures. All in my Mom's handwriting. This was her life and joy, helping people.

"I'm guessing you putting your Mom's tapes back is taking a little time." Dad leans in the doorway as I slowly make my way out. Oh yeah, we were supposed to meet for lunch. I guess saving animals out of trees and traffic stole my focus.

I look around, this place never seemed like it could ever get its fill of people. I have a feeling it won't now. My fingers land on a small 'how to' acupuncture pamphlet. "Nah. Just trying to relax in this place before something crazy happens."

Dad folds his arms, it's a busy day for him, full of banquets and judging the town chili competition, "What? Something incredibly dangerous happens in this sleepy town?"

"Yeah. I hear it started when some guy with the name of James moved in," I take my helmet off for a second as my face is boiling.

"And I heard it only got crazier when the Phantom Ninja arrived." Dad holds the door open as I leave, "I believe you have something important?" He holds his hand out as the cool morning air sweeps my cheek.

I dig around in my belt pockets, then pull out a small silver key, "How'd you know I had this?" I let the key drop into his hand.

He locks the door to the clinic then puts the key in his jacket pocket, "Because I know you. Maybe not as well as I should." He rubs the back of his neck, "I'm sorry for keeping my distance. Mabey if-"

"Dad," I shoulder bump him, "You're the Mayor. I've know the back of your head better than your face since I was 6. I know you're busy 25/8."

"25/8?" He raises an eyebrow.

"25 hours a day, 8 days a week." I smile lightly as he switches the hand he holds his briefcase.

"First off, that's horrible math. Second, it's quite true." Dad steps towards the town, which is quite as there are seconds to lunch break, "I really could use a vacation."

"Where'd you head?" I resist to pull out my phone and text AJ again.

"Definitely somewhere sunny. Mabey Green town." He half wiggles his eyebrows.

I shake my head, "After how bad you wanted out of there?"

"You know," He leans down by my feet and grabs a small blue tulip, "I don't know why. Maybe I don't want to go back there, I think I'd rather time travel, tell younger me to just wait in front of a certain lady's room." Dad brushes his thumb over the pedals then gently places it in my hair behind my right ear, "It's wired how we can be nostalgic for earlier years and forget the bad?"

"I actually get that," I pull the flower out of my hair, it's just like the one people honored my Mom with a while ago, "Like how I wish to just live in some sort of limbo before the first attack," Why couldn't those stupid ninjas just stop the danger? Mom would be here, maybe she would have told me stories of her past instead of me having to listen to a recording, "I'm still mad at the ninja, but I also don't regret who I've become since then."

Dad chuckles, "Aren't humans just wonderful. So complex."

"Yeah," I smile, "I think I could use a break from feelings."