Online Pals

Louds sounds of explosions resonate through my headphones. Bright lights flash on the screen, showing the special attacks by both players and monsters. Me and my online friends were just in the middle of a boss fight when my guild friend suddenly came online.

Merk Fumperdink has entered the game.

We have been guild friends since forever. When I first started this game a year ago I was basically a newbie and died a lot during boss levels. While I was fighting one of the hard bosses, he came into the dungeon and joined the fight. He was very friendly and we talked a lot about the game. Eventually, he invited me to be a guild member which I was very grateful for. From then onwards, we usually played the game with each other to fight bosses and farm for experience points.

When the boss fight was over and I had my loot, I typed my message into the game chat.

(Y/Username): hey merk wanna go looting for some rare items? I heard they have it for limited time at Gelka Fields.
Merk Fumperdink: sure I'll meet u there :)

After traveling through the town area, I finally come to the monster dungeons. I typed in another message.

(Y/user): I'm here! turn on voice chat so we can convo better.

Soon I heard his voice in my headphones. "Hi there! Took you long enough. So...what's this monster that we have to kill for rare items?" he asked.

"Wow! Hi." I was stunned at how deep his voice was. "Glad you're online now. I've been waiting for about an hour or so to get at this difficult boss together."

"Well lets go then. No time to waste!" He sent me a smiley emoji in the chat and went off into the dungeon. After several minutes of spamming attacks and using up health potions, we defeated the boss. "Phew, we did it! That was a tough one," he said.

"Hah, you could say that again." Playing with him on this game made me happy. Suddenly he asked me, "Hey, (y/user)...do you want to um...hang out for lunch or something?"

I chuckled. "I have a name you know." I heard him laughing on the other end. "Yes, of course. I'm just too used to calling you that in the chat. Maybe there's some place close by in L.A. that we can meet. " That statement took me by surprise.

"Wait a minute. You live in L.A.? Me too!" It was a major coincidence that I didn't know would happen.

"Do you know about this (Restaurant name)? It has pretty good fried chicken." I have heard of this place somewhere. I look it up on my phone and check the location. Its not too far from where I live, about a 20 minutes drive or so.

"Yeah, I just checked the map and its not too far. I can drive there, no problem. Can we see each other this Saturday?"

"Well that's great. Can't wait to see you in person." We continued playing, then logged off with farewells and anticipation for our IRL meet.

Saturday couldn't arrive any sooner. The day finally comes. I got my things ready and drove over to the restaurant before noon. On the way there, I felt both excited and nervous to meet him. What would he look like? Hopefully he's not like those weird creeps that try to flirt with me online. But just in case, I brought my trusty pepper spray.

Once I got there, I looked around for him. I went up to a person and asked them about 'Merk'. Apparently you will get weird looks if you ask about a person's username. Damn, I should have asked for his real name at least. To save myself the embarrassment and not wanting everyone around me to think I was completely mad, I stood at the corner waiting for him.

I continued to wait for about 30 minutes but no sign of him. He could be late... At the corner of my eye, I notice someone waving at me. I turn to look at him. He has dark curly hair, rectangular glasses on his brown eyes and facial hair along his face. He gives me a bright smile as he walks towards me. Is it really him?

I didn't want so seem rude so I smiled and waved back to him. "Hi, sorry I'm late," he said. I was silent for a moment, not sure what to say.

"Oh right, silly me. I forgot to introduce myself." He extended his hand to me. "I'm Mark. But some people, including myself, call me Markiplier."

Why my words escape me, I have no clue. I took his hand and shook it. "Uh, nice to meet you, Mark. I'm (y/n)." I managed to say without sounding dumb.

Wait...did he just say Markiplier?!

"Um, a-are you like...that famous gaming youtuber?!" I almost yell. He gives me a shy smile.

"Yes, I was wondering why you didn't recognise me. But that doesn't change the way you think of me, right?"

I try to hide my face but he's standing right in front of me, which was impossible. How did I not recognise him?

"You're still my friend. Whoever you are or whatever you do, you are my online pal," I said, hoping I wasn't an idiot for saying that.

He laughs. "Is that what you really think of me?"

"Well, we'll see about that. Anyway, I'm hungry. Let's go inside and grab some fried chicken." I smile and lead him into the restaurant.

---

{A/N: hey guys sorry for the kinda late chapter...had this idea from anime -recovery of an MMO junkie-...also the username for mark is just a mix of some from his gameplays and i was too lazy to put a username so u can make up your own haha anyway hope u all enjoyed this chapter}