Only a Dream

The sun shone high in the sky, making the breeze that passed me felt warm. 
Mark and I were hanging out at the beach today. We brought Chica along so she could enjoy running on the sand.

After getting the picnic blanket from the back of the car, I walked towards Mark. The beach was very crowded today. Many adults were lying under the sun while their kids played in the ocean water.

I nudged Mark. "Still scared of the ocean?"

His eyes went wide. "The sea will kill you! Do you know how many people have died in the ocean?"

I gave a shrug. "Not only that, there's still the bottom of the ocean that hasn't been fully discovered yet. Who knows what might be down there!" Mark explained.

"Come on, Mark. It will be fine. I'll hold your hand if you want." I gave a bemused chuckle as he dipped his toes into the cool foamy seawater that lapped onto the sand. His eyes flashed dark for a second before I heard a voice calling.

"Hey, Mark! (Y/n)! I didn't know both of you were here today." I turned around to see Ethan and a group of friends walking down the beach towards us.

Mark and I waved hello and greeted them. "Want to join us? We're about to have some real fun over there." Ethan pointed toward the cliff.

"Oh, sounds awesome," Mark agreed. We followed them to the walkway that went up to the top of the cliff. A few breaths later, we were at the cliff overlooking the beach and the ocean water.

Ethan and his friends motioned for us to get closer to the edge of the cliff. One of them ran towards the cliff, doing an amazing flip before landing in the water. My eyes widened at what occurred before me.

"(Y/n), let's go!" Mark exclaimed. Before I could utter a word, he followed them and jump off the cliff, doing the cannonball.

Next thing I knew, I'm at the edge of the cliff, looking at the drop down below. Everyone around is shouting for me to jump. The drop began looking further and further. My head swam and I began feeling nauseous. My heart thundered in my chest, not having Mark beside me got me more anxious. Do I jump? Do I stay here and feel like a coward?

Suddenly, I felt myself falling. Did I even move to jump? I don't remember that happening. It now seems like I didn't have a choice in that matter. My stomach felt like it was going up to my throat. I closed my eyes before I hit the water.

~

I woke with a start. My eyes scanned the ceiling, then the room. I wasn't at the sunny beach anymore but in my bed. I slowly sat up and looked at the clock. It was already 2 am.

Rubbing my eyes awake, I was about to get up and have a glass of milk when I heard Mark stir behind me. "Babe? You up?" he asked groggily. His eyes somehow saw me in the dark and asked, "What's wrong? Can't sleep?"

I laid back onto the bed, next to him. My hands reach for his face and our eyes met each other. "I...I just had a bad dream. That's all."

He gave me a comforting touch on my arm. "Come on, you can tell me." I didn't feel like telling him about a silly dream I had but maybe talking about it might help ease my mind. I gave a small sigh before saying, "I'm just anxious about...being put at the center of attention, you know? Like when the teacher suddenly calls out your name and makes you stand in front of the class, then asks a question that you don't know the answer to?"

"Is that what your dream was?"

"Wha-? No. No...It was more like a crowd just pushing me to do something that I was anxious about. Then I fell and woke up."

"Well, it does sound like an interesting dream..."

"Are you a dream analyzer now? Like Inception?" I gave him a playful smirk. "Probably," he shrugged.

Mark smiled and planted a soft kiss on my lips. I leaned into it, his strong arms pulling me into a warm hug. I felt safe with him around me. We pulled apart for breath, but I wanted more. I turned over and pushed my back against his chest, feeling it move from his soft breathing. "Never let me go, Mark," I muttered.

I could feel him smile against my hair.
"You know that I wouldn't even if I had the chance."

Mark wrapped his hands around my belly, pulling me close to him as he laid gentle kisses along my cheek and neck. The cuddle felt so comfortable that I could just melt in his arms.

"(Y/n)...you're beautiful, in every imaginable way," he whispered to me.

"You're beautiful too," I whispered back, smiling. Being showered with kisses and compliments from my boyfriend made me feel giddy. He continued kissing me until I felt sleepy and closed my eyes.

~

The sunshine from the open window made me get out of bed. Not only that, the smell of food flowing from the kitchen made my belly growl. I washed my face in the bathroom sink before heading downstairs.

My mouth almost watered as I went closer to the kitchen. What I saw in the kitchen had my jaw dropping to the floor. Mark was in the kitchen cooking up a storm. Dishes and pans were left on the counter and in the sink.

He turned around and noticed me looking stunned at the countertop. "Hey... You're up early."

I looked at the time on my phone and it was well past early. "Um, you know it's like almost noon right?"

"Time flies pretty fast," he shrugged, "Anyway, I made this for you." Mark pushed the plate towards me. He had made some pancakes stacked and drizzled with honey and some added whip cream on top. The plate next to it had a sunny side up with crispy bacon on the side. Just looking at it had my stomach growling a second time.

I took a fork from the drawer and started to dig into the delicious looking food. The eggs and bacon tasted freshly made with love. "Hm, this is really good. Could use a bit more seasoning though." 

"Oh, I'll make sure to do that next time." He began to pout.

"I'm kidding...It's actually really tasty," I said as I took another bite. After that, I took a big slice out of the pancakes, with the added sweetness of course. It tasted a little too sweet but was satisfying nonetheless.

"Here, try some." I scooped some pancake and fed it to Mark. "What do you think of your own cooking?" I asked.

"Well, I'm no Gordon Ramsay, but if I practice enough I'm sure I could challenge him," he said with pride.

"I think with enough practice we can make the kitchen a little cleaner," I chuckled. "Come, I'll help you."

Once we finished the food on the plate, we washed up the kitchenware that Mark had used. While doing so, I said to him, "Thank you...for everything you've done for me. I guess I would be an anxious wreck without you."

"Babe..." He set the plate he was drying down and kissed me on the lips. "Without you here, I probably wouldn't have stayed as grounded today as I would have a long time ago."

I smiled. "I'm guessing we make each other complete."

"I guess we do," Mark said before kissing me one last time.

---
END