Black Box

It was around 10pm. I should be sleeping by now but I didn't feel tired. Leisurely playing a game on my phone, I suddenly received a call from my boyfriend, Mark. We've been together for 4 years now, and it's no surprise that he would call me at this hour.

"Hello? (Y/n), you're not asleep yet are you?"

I smiled at the sound of his voice. It always made me delighted to hear him. "Yes, Mark. I'm not asleep yet. I don't even feel tired."

"Okay, guess what I've got for you." Trying to make a simple guess and a joke, I said, "A new pair of shoes?" 

"Haha, nope. Try again."

I tried to think of any events that I may be forgetting, but nothing seems to come to mind. "I don't know. It's not our anniversary or anything, is it?"

"Okay, okay. Let me tell you. I just got two tickets to a play! You wouldn't mind joining me, I hope." 

I've never been to a play bere. And the fact that he bought it for both of us was exciting. "Sure, I can come with you."

Mark chuckled. "Great! I'll see you tomorrow." He hung up the phone. I didn't even get the chance to ask him what the play was about. What if it was Hamilton? That'd be pretty cool but I heard that most of the tickets were already sold out. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I then continued to play the very addicting game on my phone until 12 midnight before going to sleep.

The next day, Mark picked me up with his car and drove us to the theater. "So...what exactly are we seeing a play of?" I asked.

"It has a bit of romance here, some thrills there, and maybe even some spooks," Mark said nonchalantly. I frowned at him. "You're not going to tell me, are you?"

He just shrugged at me and continued driving. Once we reached there, Mark parked the car and we entered the building hand in hand. I bought some popcorn, which I didn't know they sold at plays as well, and handed it to Mark. Before we went through the doors, the man at the counter said, "Enjoy the play."

"I heard this play is astonishing. I hope it is 'The greatest play in the history of theatre', as other people claim it is."  The play started as soon as we took our seats in the first row. Throughout the play, we laughed, we cried and ate a lot of popcorn from the bottomless popcorn bucket. I handed out some tissues for our tear-stained faces. When it was over, Mark stood up teary-eyed and clapped his hands. I clapped along with him.

"That was wonderful! Encore!" The actors took a bow and left the stage. Mark and I went back out to the entrance. Mark turned to me and asked, "Do you want to stay for the next play? I hear its just as great as the one we watched." 

I thought for a moment and said, "We should go. Since you brought me to this wonderful play, I wanted to treat you to some delicious food." He smiled at me, his eyes scrunching together, the way it usually does when he is happy.     

We headed out of the theater and strolled through the park. Along the way, a guy dressed up in a silly costume was selling a bunch of balloons to kids playing in the park. Mark noticed the balloons and rushed over to the man. He bought a red balloon and handed it to me. "For you, my lovely (y/n)."

"Aww, thank you. I feel like a kid at the circus again," I joked. I had gotten a bunch of helium balloons from a clown in a circus game when I was younger, but it all floated away as I wasn't paying attention and let it go. My parents had to calm me down after several minutes of crying because I had just lost such a cool prize.

"Ah, there's one more thing I want to give to you," Mark said. I looked at him with curiosity. 'What does he want to give me now?' I wondered.

Mark held both my hands in his, looking into my eyes, he said, "From the moment I first laid eyes on you, I've always thought that you were...weird. And don't get me wrong, I like weird." He put his right hand on his chest in a 'no offense' gesture.

"After the many conversations that we had, I got to love you more and more each time. Ever since then, we've been together like a set of chopsticks." I laughed at his metaphor for our relationship. "So...I wanted to give you a big token...for our life together."

He got down on one knee. My heart started beating faster and faster. I clasped my hand to my mouth, trying not to cry out with joy and excitement. He pulled out a small black box from his pocket and my eyes grew wide, realising what would be in it.

Mark looked up at me and slowly opened the box to reveal the shiny band of metal inside. "Will you, (y/n), marry me? Until the end of time?"

I was so stunned that I almost blacked out. I shook my head to stop myself from fainting. "So that's a...'no'?" he asked, with a slight frown.

"Wait, what?" Mark must have mistook my shake of the head for his answer. My mind went into a frenzy of panic. "No, yes. Wait...argghh. I mean YES! Yes! I wanna be with you."

Mark face turned into the most happiest smile I've ever seen him smile. "YES!" He lifted me up with his strong arms and spun me in a circle. Both of us giggled with joy. Once he put me down, he took the ring from the box and put it onto my finger.

I flexed my ring finger to him. "What do you think?"

"Well, I think you will look amazing as my wife." Then he kissed me on the lips, making it the happiest moment of my life.

---

{A/N: heyhhey wassup readers. Long time no see😂 I've been away for awhile but I'm back with some wholesome and fluffy shots for u to indulge...hope u enjoyed this one bcoz it took me awhile to piece together the story based on "A date with markiplier"...probably sure someone else also did something like this but idk...anyway thanks for reading this and supporting the book and ill see u in the next one :) }