Pets 101 (Pt. 1)

Do you ever feel like destiny ever calls to you when you least expect it? Yep, that's what happened today when my father called me over to his house.

Sometime in the morning, my phone rang with an important message. I picked it up and saw my dad's text. It read...

Dad: hey (y/n). I'll be gone for the whole day. Have to head upstate for my job and I don't want to leave Kade alone. Could you take care of him for today?

I typed back saying...

(Y/n): sure, no prob. I'll be right over.

I was glad that I had a day off today from work. After I showered and freshened up, I drove over to his house. By the time I got there my dad had already left the house, leaving me alone with Kade.

"Hiya, boy. I haven't seen you in a long time." I gave him a pat on his furry head.

Oh, did I forget to mention? Kade is my family dog and is currently living with my dad. He's a German Sheppard that we cared for since he was a little puppy. Now he's all grown up and really big. He wagged his tail and almost jumped on me. Being really happy to see me, he began to run up and down the house. Then he went over to his toy and brought it to me.

"Aww, thank you." Once I took it from his mouth he began barking at me.

"What's up Kade? You wanna go outside?" He continued to bark at me and nudge my leg with his snout.

"Okay, alright. Might as well take you to the dog park and have fun with the other dogs." I brought his Frisbee, a pooper scooper, and his leash.

I attached his leash on and headed out the door. Having the dog park nearby was a good thing because Kade loves being outdoors. Whenever there's an open area, he would run like the wind and it was really hard to chase him down.

Once we got there, Kade did his business and then hung around with other dogs. When he was tired, he came over and laid down next to me on the park bench. The usual dog owners were also there talking with one another. But there was one person I did not recognize.

He was wearing glasses, a white T-shirt with a large 'M' on it and black pants. His slightly curly, dark hair bounced on his head as he jumped around, playing with his dog.

The golden retriever looked rather adorable hopping around, trying to reach the toy in the man's hand.

Somehow, my dog noticed the stuffed toy in the man's hand. Kade must have thought it was one of his toy's because it did look rather similar. He got up and bounded towards him. Shit, this isn't going to end well. I ran after him, trying to stop him from getting the toy but he was a dog with four legs and ran faster than I did. All I could do was warn him.

"Hey, watch out!" I yelled at him.

But my voice couldn't reach him fast enough. He turned just in time for my dog to jump onto him. His face showed surprise and shock. A yelp escaped his lips as he fell to the grassy earth. My dog had reached for the toy in his hand and ran around shaking it in his jaws. The man's dog ran after Kade in pursuit of the toy.

I quickly ran over to him. "I'm really sorry about my dog, sir. A-are you okay?"

The man looked around, dazed and stunned that a big dog had suddenly pounced on him. I slowly helped him up. He was rubbing the back of his head, likely hitting it on the ground.

"Lay still and try not to move too much," I said to him as I settled him on the bench. I then went after the dogs that were now playfully snatching the toy. Once I got them to calm down, I went over to the man to see that he was sitting upright, smiling at me.

"You're really good with dogs, huh? Are you like a dog whisperer?" he asked, making it sound more like a compliment.

I rubbed the back of my neck. "Oh, you know...its nothing really. I just get used to my dog being really mischievous sometimes."

"Chica here is my best girl and I wuv her so muucchhh," he said as he rubbed her head with affection.

"Chica...that's a nice name."

"What's yours?" he asked.

"Oh, he's Kade. He's been with my family since he was a pup."

He chuckled. "No, I meant your name. What's your name?"

"Haha, right. My name's (y/n). And you are?"

"Mark. Mark Fischbach. Nice to meet you." He held out his hand and we shook it.

"So, uh, you come round here often?"

Well, duh. I have a dog. But I didn't want to say it aloud. "Is that supposed to be a pick-up line? If so, it wouldn't really have worked."

"Um, what I meant was...maybe we could...see each other again."

"You'll know where to find me if you need me." I smiled at him. "And again, I'm really sorry my dog jumped on you. I should've at least kept him on the leash."

"Um, you could repay me..."

"Are you talking about money? You're not going to sue me, are you?"

"How about a movie? Just the two of us."

Oh, phew. At least I didn't have to pay for any damages. But, a movie is worth a try. I hadn't been to one in awhile.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Alright then. But this isn't a date, you got me?"

He smiled back at me. "Crystal."

We exchanged each others phone numbers and went our separate ways. The whole time I was thinking to myself: Should I go out with him? I broke up with my ex a couple months back and I wasn't ready to start another relationship so soon. I probably look like a mess right now after chasing the dogs around. But what do I care what he thinks of me? I guess I'll find out next when he wants to go for that movie he mentioned.

---

{A/N: hey guys...wanted to do like a 101 dalmatians type (cliche, i know) moment with Mark and reader-chan hence the title and im going to be splitting this into 2 parts coz i can hahah! U guys will find out what happens in the next chapter...anyways i hope u all enjoyed and thanks so much to the readers, i wouldn't be continuing this book without u :) see u in the next one}