Future | Dick Grayson x Reader

Description: Everyone thinks about the future. Dick Grayson's looks pretty bright.

Words: 2193

Notes: Part 1 of fics I recovered from my old blog.

_

"And what do you think your future wife's gonna be like, Grayson?" You tease, your palm cupping your cheek and your head cocked to the side like a loaded gun. It's fired right into Dick's chest when you smile at him, and he actually feels the emotion clouding his thoughts get thicker. He feels the pink lens replace the dark one, letting the world be seen the way you make everything seem; beautiful. Dick drowns in love and lets himself sink. He sinks, he falls, he tumbles and trips right at your feet. Where you pick him up, dust him off and tell him it's okay.

Dick knew nothing about his future wife, like everyone else in the world. The only idea he had was the woman he had created in his head, along with the more handsome, nicer, stronger version of himself that he'd fantasized he would become. And that woman, with her ideal face and body shape and personality, that imaginary woman is somehow real and sitting in front of him. You are everything Dick's been dreaming of since he first put on the green scaled undies. You're his ideal, and he's still in awe that you're real.

You, with your flowers pressed between book pages and your cracked perfection. You, with your chest like a theater and your heart the pulsing song of a tragedy. Your curves, like a vengeful coiled snake, or the arch of a scythe. You, who would make a dictionary of words to describe how it feels to be so in love with him. You, the definition of perfection, that he still doesn't believe is real.

He knows exactly what you imagine when you think "husband" and "wedding". You probably started planning your wedding by the time you were seven. By ten, you'd have the time of the event and the location picked out. When you turned seventeen, you probably went out an choose a gown, just for fun. Your maid of honor and two of your bridesmaids are on speed-dial. And at all those ages, you knew you wanted a man who held your hand like it was the only one in the world. A person who wasn't just there to fill the other side of the bed. A person who makes you feel like a princess but treats you like a queen.

If he's being honest, he hasn't even picked out a tux yet, never mind the colors or the cake. He has no clue what his wedding will look like. But he imagines his future wife will be a living promise. She'll be hopeful, she'll be colorful, she'll be beautiful, she'll be tasteful. So tasteful her walk will be champagne and Dick will get drunk with her every step. When the pastor asks him,"Will you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?" Dick will answer so fast he'll interrupt the poor officiant. But the pastor can't blame him. Your first kiss was 6 years ago, and he's been practicing his "yes" for the past 2,165 days.

When people ask him about his future wedding, Dick doesn't have a clue whereas you do. But when he's asked about his future wife, he ends up talking enough to fill a trillion novels. Little things, like how she misses her (relative), smells of petrichor, and even the taste of her skin is sweet. Little things like how you love to laugh, and starts a fire within him that has yet to die.

He's so lucky. You've only seen yourself in photos and reflections. You don't catch the way your eyes light up when someone mentions one of your passions. You only view the smile that's too awkward or a pimple on your chin. You don't see the genuine grin conquer your expression when someone in the street compliments you. It's near gut-wrenching, how you've never seen the parts of you that Dick finds so beautiful. He's lucky he can see the little things.

Dick repeats the moment in his head sometimes. Just for fun, even though there's no way that's how it will go. He knows you'll look beautiful in your dress, but knowing him, his tongue will fall out of his mouth and he'll heart will jump out after it. He won't be able to speak. Knowing Dick, the only thing he'll be able to say is,"You look hot." But that's not true. You'll be divine, ravishing, enamoring, radiant. You'll be ineffable.