Chapter 24 - Softball Game

So, tomorrow is now today.

And to say I am nervous would be like saying Leonardo DiCaprio is only 'okay'. When, in fact, he is one of the hottest men alive. So, what I'm trying to say is that, that would be an understatement.

And the fact that Kale is coming doesn't help at all.

To be honest, I kind of regret inviting him. Not that I doubt my skills or anything, but anyone would be nervous to have the guy that you, well, I mean, we've only kissed a couple times.

And if you are curious, yes, we have kissed a couple times since the shower incident. It's just that everytime we seem to have a moment, we kiss - or makeout, whichever you prefer - very passionately. And no, I have not heard anymore strange noises from his room, if you were wondering.

"Hey, Bradley. Can I speak to you for a second?" I look up at my name, hearing my coach calling me.

I walk over to her, "Yes, coach?"

"Okay, well considered your new to the school and all, you aren't supposed to be playing," My eyes widen and my jaw drops, "But, you are one of the best players on the team, and you haven't missed any practices. I talked to the board and they said that you could play, you just have to sit the first inning. I wanted to see if you were alright with this. Pretty good deal, if you asked me."

I smile with a nod, "Seems like a good deal to me. Besides, it's only fair." She lets out a sigh of relief. I turn to walk away, but I stop, turning my body towards her a little, "Thank you, coach. For going out of your way like that for me."

She smiles, "Anytime. You know I'm starting to like you, Stevenson." She winked, turning back towards the field watching the team warm up.

**********

"Come on, girls. First game of the season and you're looking good so far. We have about," Coach glances at her watch, "10 minutes left. We are winning, but we still need to get more runs." We all nod, hanging onto every word she was saying.

She takes a deep breathe and glances down at her board. "Next four batters, I want y'all out and watching the pitcher. Mikaela, Kinsee, Adeline, and then Bradley. Out. Now."

We all rush to throw our gloves off and grab our helmets and bats. Stepping out of the duggout I start to take practice swings, getting my arms loose. Watching the pitcher I count how long until it gets across the plate. She was good, accurate and a decent speed. Just how I liked it.

The umpire announced he was ready and Adeline and I, made our way back into the duggout.

First to bat was Mikaela. She hit it up the middle, the ball flying into center field, on the ground. She sprinted to first, rounding the bag. Once the ball was safely in the circle she returned to first.

Up next was Kinsee. She was good, but her batting has been off. And my point was proven when she swung and missed the third strike.

And Adeline was next, right in front of me. She was also good. Really good. I'd say our skill level was pretty close. She went up and swung at the first pitch. She missed it. I could see her inhale deeply and step back into the box. The pitcher started her wind up and Adeline killed it. The ball went flying. I watch it.

Going.

Going.

Going.

Caught.

The left fielder made a diving catch making everyone in the bleachers of the other team stand up and cheer.

I sighed. That was a great hit.