02 drawer

word count: 717

There was one drawer in their house that had a lock on it. Both of them carried a key for it with them at pretty much all times, and lately Mitch had been beyond tempted to open the drawer.

His hands itched, his stomach clenched, and his mouth went a little dry anytime his eyes landed on the drawer, anytime he thought of opening it.

To everyone else, it was just a random drawer, the fact that it wouldn't ever open was dismissed almost immediately.

To Scott and Mitch, the drawer was special. It held hopes and promises and a future. They had had a drawer with a lock on it like this almost since day one of them moving to LA to start their careers for real. They never dared opening it though, always being in the wrong position, too busy with exploring and their careers.

Somewhere in the last three days however, Mitch had made up his mind. They'd had this for seven, almost eight years now, and to hell with "waiting", because with eight years having passed he was pretty sure he'd done his waiting. No, it was time for him to open the drawer and go find Scott.

His throat was dry as he picked the key from his necklace, fingers trembling. The drawer held promises, and it was the perfect time now. They'd waited long enough, and yet Mitch was hesitant. They didn't have the drawer and the lock and keys for nothing, they formed promises and hope, but it was hard for him to remember those when his heart was beating this fast in his chest. He could practically hear the blood rushing through his veins when he turned the key.

He blinked. Once, twice.

The drawer was empty. It was empty and Mitch had no idea what that meant and he was scared he'd fucked up now.

"Mitch...?"

He turned, facing the blonde. He also tried his best to maintain the smile on his face and keep his lips from trembling because he was confused and the drawer was empty and the drawer being empty didn't hold promises or hope or a future. His "Hi," came out smaller than he'd liked it to.

Scott hadn't noticed him sitting next to the now open drawer yet, or at least hadn't connected the dots yet. When he did, his face fell, and he almost felt as he was being punched in the stomach.

"I," he swallowed, "You look like you're missing something, Mitchy."

Mitch couldn't stop staring at Scott, at the perfected blonde wave of his hair peeking out in the front of his Christmas hat, the black cuddly sweater Mitch adored, the apparent nervousness is Scott's hands and eyes.

"Any chance you were looking for these?" Scott's voice was still a little strained, but he dangled two rings in his fingers. There was a combination of a shy smile and cocky smirk on his flushed face, nerves shining through. Mitch thought it was adorable.

Mitch also felt like his heart stopped for a moment. He hadn't- couldn't- no. His eyes were wide and there were tears prickling in them. Without words, he looked at Scott, who was slowly making his way over to an on the floor sitting-Mitch.

The brunette nodded at him, barely able to move, and Scott just nodded as a response. The blonde pressed his lips together to prevent what either felt like a sob or information spill.

They both nodded at each other, silent tears running down their faces while Scott sat down and placed his legs around Mitch's ones. He picked up Mitch's hand gently, pressing small kisses to his knuckles before glancing up again. The tenor shivered at the contact, not being able to hold back his tears- which made Scott loose control over the tears spilling down his face out of pure joy.

"100% sure?" The baritone whispered, looking for Mitch's eyes. As soon as their gaze locked, Mitch nodded, pursing his lips as he whispered a hoarse "Yes".

Which was all it took for Scott to slide the ring on his finger, and then on his own.

The drawer was empty, after years and years of holding two matching rings. The hopes, the future and the promises, all on their fingers now.

don't forget to vote/leave a comment/share and maybe check out my other stuff. love ya, thanks for taking the time to read these 💗