04 mistletoe

word count: 769 words

They had been teased about it often enough, about basically already being a married couple. About how close they were and how perfectly they fit together. About how everyone was just waiting for them to be ready to fully commit.

Which meant Christmas time was rough. Obviously, at the times they were seeing someone, nothing was mentioned. But in the years where they weren't, the two would find mistletoe everywhere and anywhere.

Their families and friends would try to trap them underneath mistletoe, would put mistletoe on a hook and dangle it above their heads. They would ask for Scott to come help in the kitchen and send Mitch in the same direction all in hopes they would walk underneath the doorframe with the mistletoe at the same time.

They always rolled their eyes, laughing and joking because honestly, they weren't meant to end up together. They were just best friends, and they both knew that. They didn't see the chemistry between them as a romantic or sexual one, denied feelings for one another, because they really weren't there. Or so they always insisted.

The two times they had been caught under the mistletoe, they had shared a kiss on the cheek and one small peck on the lips, nothing much, nothing to change the fact that they were best friends.

This year, however, was different. It had already started different. When they'd gotten to Scott's house, they hadn't been greeted by the usual plotting smiles and mischievous eyes. They had been greeted with a hug, an "it's been so long since we saw you!", and "come on, it's cold, let's get you inside".

There hadn't been mistletoe hanging at every doorframe, they hadn't been teased, and everyone was acting as if they had accepted the two were never gonna get together. The closest to getting teased about them acting like a couple was when there was only one spot left of the couch but everyone had shrugged it off because "Mitch'll sit in Scott lap like always, we honestly don't need more spots".

Which was suspicious. All during dinner, the two had been exchanging glances, sure there was something wrong with their family if they hadn't even pulled any mistletoe tricks yet. But nothing, nada. Not even when they got extra cuddly on purpose, glued to each other even more than they already were, holding hands and Scott pressing more and more fleeting kisses on Mitch's shoulder. Not even a look was thrown their way.

But they were totally best friends. Even if they had realised by now that they were meant to end up together. They hadn't talked about, not to each other but also not to anyone else. So they were best friends.

Best friends who sneaked out of the living room up the stairs and saw that the one little nod towards the mistletoe shenanigans that were always pushed onto them, was the tiny piece of mistletoe on the doorframe to Scott's childhood bedroom.

Best friends who had had enough and who were now a kissing mess under the mistletoe. Best friends who were grabbing at each other, Mitch with his legs wrapped around Scott's waist and the blonde firmly holding Mitch in place.

And as they stumbled towards the bed and articles of clothing got discarded and mouths were placed on bare skin, it occurred to them that maybe the term 'best friends' didn't really suit them all too well.

It really wasn't late yet, when they were wrapped up in each other's arm, dazed and kissing and more in love than they thought was even possible. It really wasn't late yet, but the idea of leaving the warm bed to go downstairs and socialise again wasn't one they gave much thought. After all, going upstairs together and then coming back down with an obvious post sex glow radiating off of them, didn't sound all too appealing.

In the end, it had been mistletoe's doing that they had ended up like this. It had been the lack of mistletoe confusing them, making their own desires more and more present by not being able to joke about it. It had been the tiny piece of mistletoe above Scott's doorframe that they kissed underneath, although they probably would have kissed there too if it hadn't been hanging there.

So maybe, it wasn't the over the top hype and teasing they got from everyone around them, the hundreds of tricks and pieces of mistletoe. No, rather than that, it had been the lack of mistletoe, that had made them kiss under the mistletoe after all those years.

comments/votes make my day, please don't forget to share if you liked it. thank you so so much for reading, love you