07 sweater

word count: 1066

Mitch's heart was beating fast in his chest, his breathing ragged, and his eyes not focusing on anything because of the tears in them.

He hugged his knees to his chest, scratching at his bare arms. It was weird, his need to isolate himself when all he really wanted was a tight hug. The corner of his room though, behind his open door, made a small secluded triangle like space where he was perfectly hidden.

He wiped at the tears in his eyes, willed himself to stop crying. But then he realised he'd just been broken up with, Scott was out for the day working with Kevin and Ben on new arrangements, and all his friends were probably hanging out and having a good time, and he started sobbing more. He was alone, and he'd been not alone for such a long time it simply felt off.

He didn't know how long he'd been sitting on the ground, his eyes stinging and getting used to the dim light in the room, but his ass was getting sore, his legs heavy, and his mind spiralling.

Scott wasn't home. And Mitch wasn't about to call him or text him when he was working. Work was important, especially since they really had to get these arrangements down so they could actually start recording soon to get the album out on time. So he couldn't go up to Scott and demand a hug now, like he would have done otherwise.

Yet, he tiptoed into Scott's room, sniffling and wiping at his eyes every other moment.

He couldn't believe he had just gotten broken up with. Actually, he could, he just didn't want to believe it. He had been so happy with him, and they'd been together for almost a year now. He loved him.

He rummaged through Scott's closet, trying to keep his clothes as neat as possible while looking for his collection of sweaters. In the end, he didn't go for any clean ones, but he just picked the one that Scott had discarded on the floor. It smelled the most like him, like comfort and hugs and Scott, and Mitch needed that little piece of strength right now.

The argument for the breakup had been the same everyone he dated always used. It didn't matter if he had dated them for years or only a couple weeks, they almost all shared the same shitty reason for dumping his ass. "You're always so busy.", "You can't even celebrate New Years/my birthday/any other important celebration with me, you're always working!", "You're away on tour so often I barely get to see you." Well fuck him for having a career he had to maintain, a career he loved and put all his work in. Apparently his focus had to be on his partner at all times. When starting to date someone, they knew he was busy, that he was always working and writing songs and away for tours. That was his life, and he didn't really think it was fair they asked him to tone that down. He sure as hell didn't tell them to quit that 9 to 5 job so they could spend more time with him.

It was huge on him, but he didn't mind. He discarded his pants, letting the sweater cover his legs until halfway to his upper leg. The sleeves he let dangle, and one side was hanging slightly of his shoulder.

His favourite ones had to be "You're always with him.", "You and Scott are way too close.", "You put your best friend above me, and I honestly can't accept that.", "Don't forget you're dating me instead of that blonde asshole." That was also something they knew when launching themselves into a relationship with him. He and Scott were best friends, work partners for both Pentatonix and Superfruit, and pretty much each other's soulmates. They were close, lived together, had cuddle sessions and always stood a little closer to each other than they did with anyone else. But the one guy that had called Scott a blonde asshole, had been dumped there and then on the spot. If you can't accept me having a strong bond with my best friend, it's over, and if you insult him, it's over, Mitch thought to himself.

-

Hours later, his eyes were puffy. Being broken up with hurt, damnit. He was almost drowning in Scott's hoodie, but the familiar smell calmed him down, had him remembering that even though his boyfriend- ex-boyfriend now- had dumped him, he wasn't alone. He had Scott and he had Kirstie and Avi and Kevin and every single one of his friends and his parents and all the fans.

"Hey Martha, you forgot to greet me when I came home, have you seen my swea- oh." Scott had swung Mitch's door open, only to find the younger one curled up in a ball on his bed, arms wrapped around his knees and staring straight ahead, blinking ever so often. "Oh, baby, what happened to you?" Scott sounded hurt, his voice breaking slightly on 'happened'.

Mitch's lip trembled, and soon enough there were warm tears spilling down his face again but there was also Scott who now had him wrapped up in his arms. Scott, who was drawing circles on Mitch's skin, his hand just underneath the sweater to rub circles on his back.

Later, soft kisses were pressed on the top of his head when he told Scott what had happened and how it had happened and how it were always the same bullshit reasons guys broke up with him.

And when Scott left him to get them some cold water and to order some food, his sweater smelled more like him than it had before.

The sweater made him feel small, but in a good way. It made him feel protected and calm and loved because those were things Scott made him feel. That he wouldn't always need Scott to calm him down but that using a sweater- or hoodie or t-shirt, for all he cared- worked too, as long as it smelled of Scott.

Scott was safety and warmth and love, and so was the sweater. He managed the first little smile in hours as he wiped at his eyes with sweater paws again, thankful for the person he could confidently call his best friend, his soulmate.

oopsies that turned a little sad. (sorry) turns out i cant write happy funny fluffy stuff when i feel like the exacf opposite of that, but this was cute so i just went with it.

love u thanks for sticking with me and reading these (: