19 alone

word count: 679

"Scotty?" Mitch shuffled around the corner of the living room, rubbing at his eyes with the sleeve of his sweater. It was late already, and he had been awake reading while waiting for Scott to come home. The past week had been busy with arranging and working, and while they were together during those parts, there was also individual Christmas shopping to be done, and this night Scott had gone to some high school to perform and then attend an after party. Initially, he had wanted to cancel it to spend a night with Mitch, just relaxing and going to bed early. They had barely seen each other, but the tenor had urged him to go anyways, telling him that he couldn't cancel on a high school that last minute.

"Hey, baby." The blonde smiled at him and walked over, wrapping his arms around the tired boy and slowly shuffling them towards the couch and flop down on it, dragging Mitch along with him. He sighed, content with being home and the foresight of not having to do anything for at least three days from now. "You stayed up?"

Mitch hummed, nodding his head against Scott's chest. The blonde's arms were rubbing his back underneath his shirt, warm and safe.

"Wanted to show you something. Early Christmas present." Scott cocked his head to the side, looking down at the boy resting his head on his chest. Their eyes met, and they traded a tired smile.

"You do?" Mitch nodded again, sitting up now, intertwining his fingers with Scott and pulling him into a sitting position too. He crossed his legs, and sat down on the couch facing Scott, who was leaning against the armrest.

"Yeah. C'mon, close your eyes."

The blonde did as asked, and Mitch took off his shirt quickly, turning around.

"Open," he whispered.

A small gasp escaped Scott's mouth, and Mitch could feel his lips tugging slightly into a smile. A finger ran across his shoulder blade then, circling before hesitantly tracing the fresh tattoo. Mitch hissed a little, it still stung a bit, but he didn't mind.

"M... Mitchy... I- I don't... wow." His voice was thick with tears, his finger tracing over the line.

"I- I got it for when I'm alone, to remind me that I'm never truly alone, because- because even," Mitch swallowed the lump is his throat. "when we're apart you're there for and with me. To remind myself that if everything goes to shit, I'll still have you." A tear fell from his eye now, sticking to one of his lashes before he blinked.

Scott couldn't stop staring at the tattoo. It wasn't huge, about the same size as his Spongebob on his other arm. It was a line, (one?), that drew out half of Scott's face. His neck, lips and nose, ending at his left eye.

"It's by this artist called Katie Acheson Wolford. She draws portraits and stuff like hands with just one line, and I've seen a couple tattoos of her work before, and because this way I don't have an obvious tattoo of your face on my body that would be noticed immediately if there ever were a picture of the back of my shoulder, it can be mistaken for a line art or something abstract if the picture is moved or blurry. I also thought it would make it a little more personal." He had been whispering, not letting any more tears fall.

Scott's hand was resting over the tattoo, and when Mitch was done talking he turned the boy around, wrapping him in a big hug. Mitch could feel the hot tears dripping from his eyes onto Mitch's own shoulder, the one with the new tattoo.

"I- Mitch. I can't believe you actually... that you actually did that. It's beautiful. I love you."

After that, they cried a little more, and then laughed about the fact that they cried, and when they were lying in bed later that night, both of them fell asleep with Scott tracing the continuous line of Mitch's new tattoo.

THE ARTIST I MENTIONED: https://www.instagram.com/katieachesonwolford HER ART IS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING. PLEASE CHECK HER OUT.

i am SO behind on these im so sorry :(i really like this one though

i really like this one though.

(im hoping to catch up this weekend, which may lead to a small spam love yall thanks for reading x)