10 hot chocolate

word count: 1098

It was cold outside, but Mitch made his usual coffee run anyway. He needed some caffeine, and he also really had to work on one of his art commissions. It was a relatively simple drawing, but it was huge and with lots and lots of different colours, so it had taken a lot of his time already and still wasn't finished.

When he entered the coffee shop however, the little hope he had for finding a table to draw by, vanished. It was crowded, and he wasn't even sure there were any remaining chairs left. And he really, really wasn't about to drink his coffee while standing or walking back to his apartment.

His face dropped. He didn't want to order coffee if he wasn't going to be able to sit anywhere, really. It took him a fifth, slightly desperate take, before he noticed that there actually was one free chair. Or... free. Kinda free.

Now, Mitch was annoyed. He ordered his usual coffee, although a larger once than usual- because he really wanted to sit here today and work on his commission. He had never had a real conversation with Scott, and he wasn't sure if he was ever planning on doing so, but Scott was hot and from his flirty remarks towards both Mitch himself as well as the barista and other guys, he was probably gay or at least interested in guys, too. And Mitch had been attracted to him, to his laugh and his soft features and his teasing remarks towards Mitch, since day one.

He was also using the one "free" chair as a leg rest, which Mitch really deemed unnecessary. And he knew, the bastard knew that Mitch wanted somewhere to sit, preferably at a table. The smirk he shot Mitch's side hadn't gone unnoticed.

So without words or any of their usual remarks or teases towards each other, Mitch dumped his backpack containing all he needed to draw- not that he could now, there wasn't any space to do so, which disappointment him slightly. He lifted Scott's legs and sat down on the chair, before laying the long- jesus, that boy was tall- legs over his lap again.

All through the process, Scott just stared at him with wide eyes, and Mitch raised an eyebrow, setting down his own coffee cup to take a sip of Scott's. He scrunched up his face when taking a sip. He had expected deep and rich coffee with a hint or caramel, since he about knew what kind of coffee Scott usually got.

"Hot chocolate? Seriously? Don't you usually go for something caramel?" He remarked, taking another sip despite not being the biggest fan of the drink.

Watching the blonde- who, aside from them exchanging remarks and banter, teasing each other on the daily, was still practically a stranger- his eyes practically pop out of their sockets as he stared at him was totally worth it.

He ignored Scott though, enjoying the baffled silence and staring more than he liked to admit. And while he couldn't really draw in this position, he could scroll through his instagram while sipping from Scott's hot chocolate.

It took a couple moments before Scott managed to say something, and while he had wanted to tease the brunette or make a snappy comment about how that was his drink and how he was sitting on his (second) chair, he didn't manage to bring out that much.

"M-Mitch." He swallowed a small lump that had been growing in his throat, while his eyes scanned the brunette. Every time he'd seen Mitch, he had been absolutely mesmerised by him. He was small, with sharp features yet soft and appearing so tiny and frail. He had been instantly attracted to the sassy tenor.

That same tenor raised an eyebrow at him now, and suddenly Scott found that breathing was hard? And that talking was maybe even harder?

"That's my drink?" He had wanted it to come out annoyed, snappy maybe. He hadn't meant for it to come out in the question, the sheer wonder, it had now. Mitch laughed though, taking another sip before smiling a dimpled smile at him- wow, Scott really was a goner, those dimples were god damn adorable.

"Oh would you look at that, it is." He put the cup back on the table, grabbing his own instead.

And Scott. Couldn't. Stop. Staring.

He couldn't stop staring at Mitch, at the way he nibbled on the straw when not taking a sip, at the way his lips closed around the straw and his cheeks hollowed when he drank his coffee. He couldn't stop staring at Mitch, and when the brunette gave him a knowing smirk, his face flushed red.

He stared at Mitch's careless face, how he was simply scrolling through his phone and what seemed to appear to be texting a friend. He stared at Mitch's hands, slender and delicate like the boy in his entire, at the tattoos of bats lining it, at the multiple rings on his fingers. He stared at the curve of Mitch's lip, licking his own subconsciously.

He stared and stared, forgot to say something to Mitch, forgot to drink his own drink. He only noticed the last one when Mitch discarded his own coffee and started sipping from the hot chocolate again, looking over to Scott with a raised eyebrow and the side of his mouth quirking up a little.

"You know, we can share your drink if you want. Here." He handed the hot chocolate to Scott, and at the single second one of their fingers brushed, the blonde could feel what almost felt like a jolt of electricity go through himself. He had to calm himself down, their fingers just touched a little when handing something over. Nothing more. Still, his mouth was slightly open and he didn't move his hand with the almost empty cup from where it was when Mitch had retracted his hand.

Scott didn't know how much time passed until the brunette stood up, shoving Scott's legs off his lap with the movement, and slung his backpack over his shoulder.

"Well, blondie, thanks for letting me drink some of your hot chocolate. I'd better be going now, still got work to finish." He patted Scott's arm with the last words, and as soon as Scott heard the chime of the door, as soon as he saw Mitch walking out, he scrambled his stuff together and practically ran out after him, totally forgetting about the hot chocolate he'd been craving.

Fuck that hot chocolate, he was now craving Mitch.

i really fucking like this one, so i hope you do too.

as always, tysm for reading! please tell me what you think (feedback on my writing is always greatly appreciated!), leave a vote/comment, share it maybe and check out some of my other stuff too? (i have a short story 'show', that's scomiche, and i also have a oneshot book which up until now only includes a three part blue neighbourhood based story, but i really like that one a lot.)