05 wish list

word count: 783

They had made wish lists despite knowing better. There was no way they would actually get any presents, let alone anything from their wish list.

It had been that way for years, ever since they'd became friends. They would make lists together but not show each other, even though they were sure the top wish at all five lists was to get adopted. When they were younger, and Mitch and Kirstie still believed in Santa, the five of them went outside to post the lists. No one would ever receive them, but that didn't matter.

Now that they were older, they just stored them with the other stuff they owned. They were lists they kept close to their hearts, hoping that one day they could look back on their biggest wish of being adopted while sitting with their new family.

It was a given that they got each other small gifts on Christmas, that they made dinner for all the orphanage kids and host the Christmas party. Throughout the years, the five of them had taken this task upon them, making sure the new and younger kids got included, and the older ones didn't tell the secret of Santa.

Most kids only spend two Christmases at the orphanage, and the five couldn't say they didn't envy them. They had been all in here since they were little. Scott's parents had gotten into a car accident when he was six, and he didn't have any other family. Kevin had appeared on the doorstep as a baby with a note to please take care of him. Mitch's situation was similar to Scott's, only in his case it was a shooting in a mall and Mitch himself had been four. Kirstie was the result of a teen pregnancy who hadn't found parents who wanted to adopt her. And Avi's grandparents had passed away when he was three.

But they had found each other, and while they wished for nothing more than to be adopted, they knew it wasn't realistic anymore, nor did they want to think about leaving the others being. Getting adopted as a teen was hard, and the rare cases it happened were celebrated into oblivion.

They weren't the only teens in the huge orphanage, but they were the oldest and the most tight-knit group. It had resulted into them earning a lot of respect and trust from the other kids.

The Christmas celebrations were almost over now, and they were the only five still sitting by the tree. It was weird to think about this being their last Christmas together. Next year, Avi and Kevin would be gone. They wouldn't be teenagers anymore, wouldn't be allowed to stay in the orphanage anymore.

Scott and Mitch were cuddled up together, sharing one of the couple blankets. It was clear they were tired, all of them. Kevin had yawned approximately twenty times in the past hour, Avi's eyes kept drooping, Kirstie was getting extra energy due to fatigue, Scott was subconsciously drawing circles on Mitch's bare skin where no one could see. The younger boy had his head resting on the blonde's shoulder, a content smile on his face.

"What was on your guys's wish lists? I know we usually keep those private, but what's the one thing you wished for?" Kirstie asked, curious.

Kevin mumbled something about getting accepted to a college, Avi shrugged and told her the same old "family, get adopted, adopt and have kids of my own some time" he always responded with.

"Making it in music, amongst other things," Scott replied, eyes sparkling at the mere though of performing in front of other people than the kids in the orphanage, of people looking up at him and singing his lyrics back to him.

"Mitchy? What'd u wish for, baby? Kit's asking."

"Hmmmm," was all Mitch gave Scott in response, making his four friends laugh.

"Nothing, Kit."

"Nothing?" Everyone's eyes, even Scott's, widened a bit. Mitch had always been very vocal about wanting to get out of here and get adopted.

He shook his head, burying it further into Scott not even a second later. It made the blonde smile, press an automatic kiss to the brunette's head.

"Got everything I essentially need. You guys are family, and I'd rather not get adopted and still be with you guys, than being whisked away now and never seeing you again." A small silence followed before another soft smile formed on Mitch's face, removing his head from Scott's shoulder and looking at him with twinkling eyes. "Besides, I only asked for one thing, and that wish got granted already, so there really isn't anything on my wish list this year, sorry Kit."

thanks to my love vaness for helping me come up with something for this prompt. don't forget to comment/vote/share if you enjoyed it, those notifs quite literally make my day 🌟