Reading (Daryl Dixon)

-Daryl's POV-

Where the hell is that girl? I swear she was just at breakfast. How could she have gone somewhere so fast? Turning a corner, I see Beth walking toward the showers.

"Hey, Beth! Have you seen (Y/N) around?"

"Yeah. I think she's still in her cell."

"A'right. Thanks." Turning around, I head off in the direction of cell block c.

"Hey, Daryl." Beth calls, causing me to turn around. She's smiling at me knowingly. Damn. Am I that obvious? "Good luck."

-Your POV-

Shifting the book in my hands, I readjust myself in my bed so that I'm laying on my back. I'm hiding out in my cell, trying my best to forget this miserable life and immerse myself into the world of Tolkein. No one had come to bother me just yet, so they must not miss me too much. I don't mind.

However, just as Gandalf hands Bilbo his sword, there's a knock at my door. Looking up, I see none other than Daryl Dixon.

"Can I come in?" Rather than waiting for a response, he walks in, looking quite at home. He settles down on my bed, lifting my feet and placing them in his lap. Had it been anyone else, I would have kicked them in the face. But not Daryl. When I'm with him, I can't help but feel... safe.

"No, please, do come in." I give him a pointed look over the top of my book before returning my gaze to the page. I don't get far, though, before I feel his eyes on me. When I look up, he's practically boring a hole into my face. There's a weird look in his eyes and he's nervously playing with the bottom of my pants. Something's off.

"Daryl, what's wrong?"

"Nothin', sweetheart." Sure...

"Okay... If you're sure." just as I'm about to go back to reading, the book is snatched from my hand, Daryl quickly folding the corner to mark the page before tossing it aside. Within seconds his hands are on my sides, tickling along my clothed torso, his fingers wiggling lightly. "Daryl! Stop!" I manage to get out these protests, and a few more, between laughs.

"Why should I?" He's smiling now, genuinely smiling and laughing. That's not something that just happens every day.

"Please! Please!" I reach down to block his way, but he just grabs my hands with one of his and shoves them above my head. When I start to kick, he shifts himself so that he's straddling me, effectively rendering my every defense useless. "Daryl, please!"

With this, he reluctantly stops, keeping my hands pinned above my head, forcing him to be only inches away from me. Both of our chests are heaving from the exertion of it, touching occasionally and sending shivers through me. Fuck. I've got to get a hold of myself. I look up into his blue eyes, our breaths mingling in between us. When he realizes how close we are, I expect him to immediately move away, but he does the exact opposite. He leans in further, watching me to see how I react. When I don't move away he keeps going, our eyes closing and our lips connecting in a soft embrace. When we pull back, there's a gentle twinkle in his eyes.

"I love you, (Y/N)."

"Wh-what?" He flies off of the bed so fast when I say that that I hardly even realize he's gone for a few seconds.

"I-I'm sorry. I don' know why I said that. It... it jus' came out." I stand up, walking over to him, holding up my hands to stop him.

"Daryl, don't apologize, really." I reach out, placing my hands on his arms. "I just wasn't expecting it, is all. I love you too."

Smiling at him, I lift myself up onto my tiptoes and place a chaste kiss to his lips. When I pull back, he lifts me up, bridal style, and carries me to the bed.

"Whadaya say you read that book to me?"