Explosions (Seamus Finnigan)

-Seamus' POV-

There she is, just chatting away with Katie Bell. Something makes her laugh, and the sound rings through the air, greeting my ears and making me smile. But then I remember, and I feel my face fall. Why is she only like this when I'm across the courtyard? Why does she always get so quiet when I'm around? Did I do something to her? Why does she hate me?

"Mate, just go talk to her." My best friend, Dean Thomas, calls my attention back to the present. He's looking at me with obvious worry. "I've been watching you wrack your brain for years now. If you want to know why she quits talking while you're around, you're going to have to ask."

"She's talking with Katie. I don't want to interrupt." Dean just rolls his eyes and grabs my elbow, pulling me along behind him. Katie glances up as we approach, cocking her eyebrow when she sees him practically dragging me. It isn't until I'm placed firmly next to (Y/N) that he lets go. She's clutching her books to her chest, her eyes pointed down to her feet and she's... blushing?

"Hey, Katie. Someone told me that Professor McGonagall is looking for you." Katie catches on quickly, her eyes widening as she recognizes his pointed look. "I'll help you find her."

And just like that, we're alone.

-Your POV-

Why?!? Why would Katie leave me alone with him?! She knows how I get around him. He's just so hard to talk to! I'm just about to say a hurried goodbye and rush off when he clears his throat.

"So, uhm, how are you?"

"Good. I mean, fine. I'm uh- I'm fine." Smooth. Very smooth.

"That's good, that's good." He has his hands shoved in his pockets and he's shuffling his feet. Is he nervous?

"Oh, uh, what about you?"

"I'm fine as well, I suppose." After a few moments of absolute silence, I'm about to excuse myself once again, when he speaks up. "Actually, I, uh, I was wondering if, maybe, we could, uhm, talk?" I blink a few times in confusion when he finishes his sentence. Talk? Talk about what?

"Um... yeah. Sure. What about?"

"Well... I, uh, I actually have a question." He lifts his hand and rubs the back of his neck as I meet his eyes for the first time since I saw him looking at Katie and I from across the courtyard. "You see , ever since our first year, I've always seen you laughing and smiling and talking so freely with... well, everyone but me. And I can't help but wonder why. I mean, did I do something? Or say something?" He looks at me so sadly, with his arms out in front of him in a questioning manner, and I honestly just want to hug him. But I'm not sure how he would react to that, so instead I settle for reaching over and grabbing one of his hands, a sudden warmth rushing over me.

"Seamus, it... it isn't you. I mean, it is, but it's nothing you've done. You just... you make me so nervous. I don't know why, but I just get really shy around you." The smile that he gives me is honestly big enough to split his face in half, and I can't help but smile back.

"I'm so glad. Listen, I've got to go practice for potions, and it probably won't be very pretty, so I'd better go by myself. But I'll find you later and we can talk some more. Would that be alright?" I nod my head in response, still smiling. He leans in then, pressing a soft kiss to my cheek and squeezing my hand before letting it go and walking away. I watch him cross the courtyard, an obvious spring in his step, as I wait for my heart to slow down. I'll have to remember to thank Katie.