Certain Death (Daryl Dixon)

Hanging yet another shirt on the line, I let out a long, deep sigh. This chore is becoming painfully monotonous. Pick up, hang, clip, pick up, hang, clip. Maybe if someone would help me it wouldn't be so bad.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" Turning around, I smile at the cheery blonde coming up behind me. Amy was one of the first people in the group to talk to me. Well, her and Dale. Everyone else seemed to be too scared to. I can't say I blame them, seeing as I walked in here with Daryl and Merle Dixon. They can be quite intimidating. But they didn't seem to care. They have kind souls.

"Hey."

"So, I thought I heard a longing sigh coming from this general area, but I know you wouldn't sigh like that. You aren't longing for anyone." She teases with a light shove on the shoulder.

"Oh, shut up. It wasn't longing. It was exasperated." When she gives me a confused look, I gesture to the pile of damp, crumpled clothes in front of me, and she smiles knowingly.

"Here, let me help you."

An hour later, we've got all of the clothes hung and we're sitting by the R.V. Daryl went off on a hunt a few days ago, and Merle went with a few of the others to make a run into town. Honestly, they've been gone for a really long time. I'm starting to get worried.

"They should have been back by now..." Amy says, worry evident in her voice.

"I'm sure they're fine, Amy." I try to sound convincing, but my tone wavers, giving away my true feelings.

"Worrying won't make it better." Dale calls from his place at the front of the R.V. I stand and move to join him, intending to help, but the radio squawks, silencing everyone.

"Hello, base camp! Can anybody out there hear me? Base camp, this is T-Dog. Anybody hear me?" We all rush over to the static-y machine, Dale picking it up and trying to make contact.

"Hello? Hello? Reception's bad on this end. Repeat. Repeat."

"Shane, is that you?"

"Is that them?" Lori asks. No shit it's them. He said 'it's T-Dog'.

"We're in some deep shit. We're trapped in the department store."

"He said they're trapped?"

"Maybe if you'd shut up, you could hear him." I call from my place next to Dale. I never really liked Shane. Something about him bothered me.

"There are geeks all over the place. Hundreds of 'em. We're surrounded." The signal becomes extremely weak, his voice cutting out so we could barely hear him. A sense of panic settles over everyone at the word 'surrounded'.

"T-Dog, repeat that last part. Repeat." But he doesn't. The radio cuts out and all communication is lost, leaving the rest of us panicked and confused.

"He said the department store." Lori says, looking to Dale for confirmation.

"I heard it too."

"Shane?" She turns to him now, fear and worry clearly etched on her face.

"No way. We do not go after them. We do not risk the rest of the group. Y'all know that."

"So we're just gonna leave her there?" Amy asks incredulously.

"Look, Amy, I know that this ain't easy-" he starts, but she cuts him off.

"She volunteered to go to help the rest of us." Her voice raises a few octaves, elevating to a near yell.

"I know, and she knew the risks, right? See, if she's trapped, she's gone. So we just have to deal with that. There's nothing we can do."

"She's my sister, you son of a bitch!" As Amy storms off, I glare at the curly haired man in front of me. I can't believe he said that, he gave up on them so easily.