intermission II

(this chapter takes place two days after Changkyun's fight with Minjae. the next chapter will take place on the day immediately after; if it's too confusing read chapter 19 and then come back and re-read this)(thought I would give you guys some softness to not make you emo twice in a row lol)

[48 Hours After]

Yoo Kihyun

I remember once in high school, I snuck out on a Thursday night to go see friends. Whilst it was a good time, to this day I haven't yet quite forgiven myself for the panic I caused my parents when they found my room empty with my window ajar. At that time, I couldn't process why they would even think of the worst, but I guess when the thing that matters the most to you is out late & unprotected, strings in your heart you never knew could even be reached are pulled to the max and this unsettling weight falls upon your chest, stopping you from doing anything.

Except from pace the kitchen whilst holding a mug of tea.

I reached out to Jooheon, he who told me what took place over the last two days & that he too didn't know where Changkyun was. His sister said the same.

The moment I got a text from him asking if he could crash here, I told him to come immediately, so now I waited with my heart ready to jump out of my mouth and continue to pound on the floor.

I barely allowed the door to be knocked a second time, swinging it open with such force it bounced back to gently hit my arm. On the other side stood Changkyun, dressed in nothing but a hoodie and ripped jeans, when it was -3°C outside, and  almost 3am. His hair & clothes were dishevelled, like he had been running for a long time. Since the last time I saw him, the bags under his eyes started forming again, making him look even more tired than he probably was.

He lamely chuckled. "May I?"

"Get in," I said quietly, and he brushed past me. I shut the door. "you can't do this, Kyun. Everybody was so-"

As I turned around he pulled me into his arms tightly, bringing my rant to a sudden end. I let my own arms rest on his shoulders gently, my face deep in the crook of his neck.
Changkyun smelled like grass, the wind, alcohol and smoke all at once. I held him tighter as his shoulders began to move.

"I'm sorry. I really am," he said. "after all my Mom said, everything that happened that night I just had to go. I lost everything and I couldn't cope with being here, I'm sorry for worrying you."

When I pulled away from him he dragged his sleeves across his face to wipe the tears which were replacing themselves faster than expected. He produced an exasperated sigh, eventually letting them run loose as he stood before me sobbing uncontrollably.

The sight was like a punch to the face. A kick to the chest, you name it - because it hurts too much to put into words. Tears brimmed my own eyes, threatening to spill as I started talking. "It's okay," I found myself lamely saying. "it's okay, Changkyun. I promise you."

"Kihyun, I-"

"No," I stopped him. "you're fine. You'll be fine, everything will fall back into place, and I'll be there each step of the way. I'll be here forever."

"Forever is a long time."

"Fine; how does 3005 sound for you?" He blinked as I hugged him again. "I'll be right here, by your side until 3005 comes around. In 3006, we'll see. Now come on, you need to shower and rest."

From there he didn't speak, his tears now leaving his eyes red and soulless, like he was far away. I squeezed his hand tightly.
Not much was said by him, not when I showed him to the bathroom, when I gave him clothes to wear and food to eat. He just took it, never once meeting my eyes.

"Changkyun, we're fine," He looked at me as I put away the cutlery. "we're okay."

"Kihyun, you don't understand. I feel awful. I lashed out at the one person in the world who would move mountains and run oceans dry for me, and it doesn't matter how much I drink or whatever pill I take; I will never forget how upset you looked when I yelled at you. To know that I was the reason for those tears-"

Every wall he had up began to crumble right there and then, turning into dust and then nothingness. It was like we stood alone in the world, finally seeing each other.
Behind his jokes and laughter, Changkyun was fragile and I wasn't far off either.

"I love you."

His words pulled me out of my thoughts. His eyes stared directly into mine, not a sign of the previous emptiness inside them. He looked at the table, a shy, dimpled smile appearing on his face.
I felt dizzy for a few seconds, for I never knew it was possible to love someone this much, to be so invested in another person.

I lunged across the kitchen in his direction, not even bothering to stop myself from kissing him, and luckily, neither did he.
I pulled away momentarily. "You know I'm going to hold this against you forever, right?"

"Technically, you said it first soooooo," I started to lead him out of the kitchen. "I like your thinking."

"Hyungwon?" I called.

"Chae Hyungwon?" He announced. "If I were you, I would either vacate the premises or sleep with earplugs this very night."

I gasped. "Changkyun!"

At that exact moment, my flatmate trudged out of the bathroom, slightly appalled. He grimaced, "Ugh, just give me 30 minutes to knock myself out."

I tried to apologise in my boyfriend's behalf but he barely gave me time to speak, yanking me into my own room and closing the door.

You can decide what came after.

(( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º))