We Let Her Suffer

Beverly's POV

When someone you love is in danger, you lose a piece of yourself.

When someone you love is dying, you lose a big piece of yourself.

My sister was diagnosed with plumbism a week after her surgery.

The lead pipe that she fell on top of gave her lead poisoning (plumbism).

"Beverly," I heard Shaun say."

"Oh, hey Shaun." I was at work, but I couldn't do anything knowing that my sister is in fatal condition.

"We were treating her today." He says, taking a seat in my office.  He has been coming in every day now for two weeks.  We eat lunch together and spend time here together until my shift is over.

"How is she?" I asked him.  I didn't bother to think before saying anything.  I honestly don't care right now.

"Well, the poisoning is in her bloodstream, so we had to drain out some of the blood from her body.  After that she looked very pale and was screaming, she said that she was having abdominal pain, that is normal for her condition."

"Did you give her pills to help her?"

"No, we let her suffer." He said nonchalantly.

I gave him wide eyes.

"That was sarcasm."

"It's not the right time to be using sarcasm, Shaun," I told him.

"Yes, we gave her pain pills.  She fell asleep soon after."

The timer on my desk went off.

"It's time to go," I said, packing up paperwork into my bag.

"Do you want to go see her?" He asked me.

I thought about it.

"Sure, just plan on seeing me cry."

We walked out to my car and started driving to the hospital.

As we were walking into the building, I felt Shaun grab my hand.  I looked down at it and looked back up at him.

"It will be okay," he told me.

I smiled and we continued walking like this.

I didn't have to go back to the desk because I knew where her room was.

We were about to step in but I resisted from walking further.

"What's the matter?" Shaun asked.  "I thought we came here to see her?"

"I don't know if I can see her in pain."

He squeezed my hand in reassurance and started to pull me into the room.

She is sleeping.  She is pale.  She is alive.

 Her heart monitor was reading at normal speed, according to Shaun.   I know basically nothing about medical stuff so I can't even tell you the names of your leg bones.  I just call them leg bones.

"Like I said earlier, the poisoning is in her bloodstream-" The monitor started beeping weirdly.

Shaun started staring off into space but was brought back not a second later.

"There is a blood clot in her rib cage causing her heart rate to decrease." He said.

Shaun ran out of the room to go get doctors.

All I could do was stare at Chris's body.

'Don't die, we lost Steve, we can't lose you too.'

The doctors came and took her out of the room.

"Beverly, we should get going."

"Yes, we should leave." I sniffed, the tears were threatening.

We walked out of the room and out of the building.

We hopped into the car but we didn't move.

I looked out the front window and started to cry.

I brought my knees up to my face and hugged them.  I felt two arms wrap around me, and a head rest on mine.

"She is being treated, everything will be fine Beverly," Shaun said softly.

I wanted to believe him, he is the smartest person I know (and a doctor), but I couldn't.  I set my mind to think that she will die.  And I will sue the company for her injuries.  That will happen whether she lives or dies, I'm just saying that right now.

--------------------------------------------

Does this chapter seem short to you guys?  I'm just asking.

Do you like the way I am moving the story along or should I calm down a bit?

Anyway, I really hope you guys are enjoying this story, I know who is reading this book because I am getting notifications that you guys are voting.

Thank you to my frequent voters/readers!!!

<3