CHP - 7

CHAPTER 7
A Little Closer

[Wattpad removed image]

By the time Ezra returned home it was three in the morning. She intentionally didn't come back until she knew everyone was asleep.

She slipped upstairs and went in her room. She set her alarm for seven and laid in bed, placing her bandanna on her dresser. But her insomnia beat her ass and refused to let her sleep.

By the time her alarm clock went off she didn't get even a wink of sleep. She turned off the alarm and got out of bed, feeling like a zombie.

She left her room and went into the bathroom. She started the shower and stripped, trying her best to ignore the mirror as she stepped in. The hot water made her feel more awake and she prayed it would last through her shift.

After an hour, she turned off the water and placed a towel around her waist and another around her shoulders. She left the steamy bathroom and almost collided with Jax.

"What you doing up?" Ezra asked her, surprised.

Jax was usually dead to the world until at least ten AM. She didn't say anything, she just stared at Ezra, and she wasn't looking at her face.

Jax seemed to be watching the water droplets falling from Ezra soaked curls and down her chest. Ezra attempted to follow her gaze and realized she was actually looking lower, at the spot where her towel had slid down a few inches.

"Jax." Ezra said loudly.

Her head snapped up and she blushed.

"What you looking at?" Ezra asked her, confused.

"Nothing!" She answered, quickly.

"Alright..." Ezra mumbled, deciding to let it go. "Why you up so early?"

"I had a nightmare." She said.

"Aw... are you alright?"

"I'm all better now." She smiled.

"Uh... alright then..."

Ezra walked past her and went into her room, shutting the door behind her.

She thought Jax was a strange kid.

* * *

Ezra has been avoiding Jax even more during the last few days. Always telling her she's tired whenever she came home. Though it's always true it doesn't matter much, she couldn't sleep if she wanted to. She's been hallucinating a lot lately, and she figured it's from the lack of sleep instead of schizophrenia. Because the hallucinations didn't cause her pain as usual.

She was happy when she got home, for once. She just deposited her second paycheck into her account. She actually had a good amount of money so if her father did decide to kick her out, she wouldn't starve on the streets.

Her happiness left once she walked in the kitchen. Mother was sitting at the island, waiting, with Ezra's pill bag next to her on the counter.

Ezra sighed. "What you doing?" She asked.

"Ezra..." She trailed off then started again. "What these for? I mean... why you have so many? When you were... you used to... I mean..." She took a deep breath. "What's happened to you?"

"That's too much shit to even begin explaining. And y'know that." Ezra muttered.

"Just sit down." Mother ordered.

Ezra sighed again and sat down opposite of her. "What you want?"

She pushed the bag over to Ezra.
"I want to know what they for."