CHP - 17

CHAPTER 17
Memories (Bad Ones)

^[5 year old Ezra]^

Ezra left the house after that, and didn't come back until late, when everyone was asleep.

She snuck back into the house and upstairs. The stairs didn't creak, and she was grateful for that, but in a way, it annoyed her. Another little thing that proved how perfect everything was. It was sort of eerie how nothing was broken and the house was always clean.

She walked carefully, the whole house was pitch black. Once she got to what she thought was the top step, she tripped and hit her face.

She put her hand up to her nose and groaned in pain. Sliding her hand to the wall to steady herself, she stood up again. She ran her hand up the wall until she found the light and flicked it on.

She quickly looked down and covered her eyes then blinked a few times to get used to the new light still seeing spots a few minutes later.

Still blinking, she turned and saw a picture frame on the shelf. Her eyes widened as she stared at it.

It wasn't there before.

It had a rectangular silver frame and the picture was faded and old. The picture was of a beach with beautiful waves in the background. Standing was a man in his early twenties with a big grin and messy hair. He was wearing dark blue trunks and was soaking wet. Standing beside him, smiling shyly was a small girl, five years old. The girl was completely dry and her black hair was perfectly in place. Her only clothing was black trunks and the white towel that was wrapped around her. The man's arm was around her shoulder, pulling her into his chest, a little too close for comfort. The girl looked uneasy, like she didn't know the man well... or just didn't like him.

"Bring back memories?"

Ezra gasped and turned to see Father standing only a few feet away from her. He was smirking but somehow still glaring at her.

She knew for a fact that she looked scared, because she was terrified.

"Nah." She lied, keeping her voice even.

He gave her an amused smile, but his eyes looked dangerous, threatening. "Well... it's getting late. You betta' head off ta' bed."

Ezra struggled to keep breathing evenly as she walked past Father and to her room. She felt his eyes on her as she opened the door.

She flicked on the light, filling the room with unnatural yellow lighting. Slamming the door louder than she intended and sat down on her bed, taking a few deep breaths, until they were no longer shaky. She took her timbs off and stood up, stripping to her boxers. She turned off the light and laid down on her bed, shaking slightly.

Her eyes closed and she pulled the blanket over her, clenching it tightly in her fists.

For hours she tossed and turned. She stared at the clock. The red numbers blinked and seemed never to change. It seemed every time she looked at the time no more than thirty seconds went by. But slowly, painfully, the numbers went by and hours passed, seeming like an eternity.

Ezra struggled to keep her mind blank, scared that if she thought about anything it would show up in her dreams. The last thing she wanted was to dream tonight. Would it be better just to lay here? Yes, yes it would. She'd rather lay there until morning then dream about him.

Three quiet knocks took her out of her thoughts. She opened her eyes and held her breath. Then realized a few seconds after she had no reason to be afraid of what was at her door.

She laughed softly at herself for being a pussy for a moment and sat up.

"Come in Jax..." She said, softly.

She walked slowly into her room and closed the door quietly behind her. Ezra heard her sniffle."I-I... had a nightmare. I'm too scared to sleep in my own bed. You think I could sleep with you again, tonight?" She asked nervously.

Ezra couldn't stop the smile from invading her face, thankfully Jax couldn't see it in the darkness of the room. "A'ight... just for tonight. I'on want you getting too comfortable with this."

Ezra heard the sound of Jax's socked feet running over to her and suddenly she was in her lap, with her arms wrapped around her neck. Ezra chuckled softly and Jax looked up at her.

"You think I could, um... wear one of your shirts?" She asked. "They just so comfy."

Ezra wasn't in any mood to fight with her so she just sighed. "Yeah. But you better be wearing something underneath them."

"Okay!" Jax smiled and got up, running to the light switch to turn it on. Ezra shielded her eyes just in time as light filled the room.

She blinked a few times and once she got used to it, she looked at Jax. She was wearing her satin red basketball shorts and a black tank top.

Ezra sighed and watched as she took her time finding a shirt she liked before striping off her own and pulling it over her head.

She looked over and grinned at Ezra before turning the light off once more. She jumped back on her lap and Ezra laid down, taking her with her and pulled the blanket over them.

"So, what'd you do when you had a nightmare before?" Ezra asked, curiously.

"Huh?"

"Before I came. Who you crawl in bed with?"

"Oh... for a while I slept with ma and pops but after I turned twelve they said I was too old. I started sleeping on the couch, with the TV on. But sometimes I'd still have nightmares. When I sleep with you they all go away. I really like sleeping with you... I mean, I'd like it better if we was naked, thou–"

"Jax!" Ezra yelled, cutting her off. She moved away from her and she whined.

"I was kidding! Well... kinda, sorta, mostly..."

"Jax." Ezra warned.

"It was a joke! ...Now come back."

Ezra mentally rolled her eyes and moved closer, wrapping her arms around her again.

"Why you even say that?" She asked.

"Cause I knew your reaction'd be funny."
Jax laughed.

Ezra huffed. "Just go to sleep."

She laughed again but did as told. Just a few minutes later she was snoring in her arms. Extra felt better with her near her, but it still took a while before she was relaxed enough to sleep. And once she was... she still dreamed.

TBC
***

I'll probably not update for a little while. 😅 But I'll give you (two) chapters when I get back so. 😉