CHP - 18

CHAPTER 18
Happier Times

⚠️ Warning! Maybe Triggering! ⚠️

^[8 year old Ezra]^

"Why he have to babysit me!? I'm in 2nd grade, I'm a big girl, I can be home alone!" Ezra whined. Her dad turned to her and chuckled.

He grabbed her by the waist and lifted her up onto the kitchen counter. She puffed out her cheeks and crossed her arms tightly.

"I know you a big girl, Ezzie. But, you not old enough to be staying here by yourself. Besides, it's good to spend some time with Jason."

She huffed. "But I don't like him!"

"Ezra." He scolded. "That's rude and I'm not 'bout to have that attitude in my house. You be nice to him, family is important and you need to learn to get along with people you don't like. You gotta do it when you older, too."

"I'm sorry." She told him. She hated it when he's mad at her. "I'll be nice, promise."

"And you should get dressed, before your ma comes." He said. She looked down at herself. She was wearing pajama pants and a T-shirt.

It's what she always wears to bed.

Ma got mad at her for it sometimes.

She says she should wear more colours. But she liked black, she thought black was the best.

"Why?" She whined. "I'm not going with you."

"You don't gotta get all dressed up like me, baby girl." He said, gesturing to his expensive new suit. "But at least change your pants."

Before she could protest again ma walked into the room, smiling. They both turned to look at her and she twirled, causing her dress to fan out as she did. Her hair was up in a bun, with two curly pieces falling around her bare shoulders. She was wearing long gloves, only a slightly different shade than the dress itself and her new diamond necklace along with earrings to match.

"Wow Mommy!" Ezra beamed.

"You look beautiful." He told her, walking over to give her a small kiss.

Ezra made a face and looked away.

"We'll be back before you know, sweetie." Her mom told her, kissing her forehead. She then took her dad's hand and they walked out the door with one last wave to her.

Soon enough she heard the car drive away. She was still pouting when she heard Jason's car drive up. The door opened slightly after and she didn't move an inch from her spot.

"Hey kiddo!" He called as he walked over and ruffled her curls. She tried her best not to look mad. She hated it when he did that.

"You still wearing PJs? Shouldn't you be dressed?"

She looked up at him and pouted even more.
"I'm comfy like this."

He smiled and leaned over so his face was a few inches from hers. "You having a bad day?"

Ezra turned away a bit, she could feel his breath on her face and she didn't like it.

"No. I'm fine."

"Why you lying? You can't be bored of me already, we only got to play once. And now we finally alone, without your parents. It'll be fun."

She continued to pout.

He sighed softly and pulled away a bit, walking out her sight. "I'm sorry you ain't like the beach. But it was your daddy's idea, not mine."

"I wanted to go shooting hoops."