Chapter 14: Guardian Angel

The sun began to rise over the cliff, sparkling off the water's surface as Leon had his legs rooted to the earth. He could feel the beginning of what felt like a minor burn from the dangerous sunlight rays dance across his exposed skin, yet it didn't make him move . Finally, he blinked his eyes, quickly dashing into the protective shade of the trees above him, hissing in slight pain at the red burn marks along his hands and wrists. Instinctively, he began to run through the trees, dodging as much of the harmful sun rays as he could, retracing his footsteps back to his home.

With each step closing the distance between him and his home, he could feel his dead heart begin to beat lively, having to began to pick up on hearing the faint heart beat of a sleeping Shay. Leon squeezed his eyes shut in response, trying not to think of the boy, but he couldn't help but remember his captivating blue eyes. The color so deep and rich, you could loose yourself in them and drown in their blue color.

Finally, his footsteps brought him to the familiar front door, as he rushed to fish his keys from his pocket, breathing heavily. But he stopped once he heard the familiar silky voice he knew all too well,

"Hi Leon. You're up kinda early." A voice chirped, he didn't dare to turn and see him. The message the woman left him repeating in his mind continuously like a broken record.

"He will be your doom.."She stated, those eyes showing her honesty and seriousness. Leon took a shaky breath.

The boy furrowed his brows in confusion, seeing Leon in such a state. He was always so composed, but he looked as if he had seen a ghost. With a sympathetic smile, he reached his hand out and placed it along Leon's shoulder as he tried to make him calm down, "Leon ar-"

He was cut off as the breath was knocked from his lungs, his frail and thin body having been slammed against the door. Shay looked up with pure fear in his eyes, and was only met with complete blackness in those that used to hold the forbidden crimson color he knew too well. The tall male was silent as he peered into Shay's wide blue irises, two long fangs were elongated and ready to attack. With a deep and husky voice, he finally spoke;

"Stay. Away." He growled deeply, the sound rumbling deep within his chest. Shay nodded quickly in response, scared of what would happen if he didn't comply. For this wasn't the Leon he knew. This was a darker beast, and it was much scarier.

After a few moments, the tall male let the boy go, watching him dash from the doorstop and into his own home, slamming the door closed.

He squeezed his eyes shut, rubbing his temples as he finally turned his attention to the door again, sliding the key into the lock and turning it, hearing the door click open. Carelessly, he pushed it open and walked to the kitchen. He strode straight towards the refrigerator, and tore into a bag of blood, sucking it down with a few gulps.

Drinking the cool crimson seemed to calm this inner beast, as he finally opened his eyes. He peered into the reflective surface of the microwave, seeing that the previous black color has left his eyes, the normal crimson color having returned. With a sigh, he discarded the empty bag and wiped his mouth with his sleeve before going to gather up his things for school.

Moments later, the rusty old school bus groaned its way up to the front of the house, stopping with an ear piercing squeal of the brakes. Carelessly, he slung the bag over his shoulder and left his house, climbing upon the yellow bus. His heart Sank when he saw that the blue eyed boy wasn't behind him, eagerly awaiting to sit next t him.

But it was in their best interest. If Leon ever lost control of this... inner beast, he may have hurt him..and if he did, he couldn't imagine the tortured look he'd see and the pain in those clear blue eyes.