Chapter 17: Attacked

The silence made the atmosphere heavy, enveloping the two within its cloud. Leon sighed softly, taking a seat besides the wolf woman, only now noticing she had turned back into her hybrid form.  

"What...Happened?" He asked, his voice ruff as it strained just above a whisper.  Snow gave a small chuckle, lips twitching to form a smile that never fully took hold. "She had been taken from me. She wasn't the one I loved, just a mindless robot under their control." She paused, gripping the sheets into her fist as her body tensed. "She managed to nearly cut through my leg completely. Doctor's told me there was no saving it, and I had to get this." She nodded towards the metal limb. "A normal prosthetic wouldn't be able to transform with my body, nor hold the weight of a wolf. "She explained, never lifting her gaze from the floor. 

Leon chewed on his bottom lip, thinking for a moment before standing. Wordlessly, he grabbed Snow's cool hand within his own, making her open her mouth to protest, but the words never came.  She just obeyed as he dragged her out of the house, in pjs and all. He briefly let go of her hand to shut the door, locking it behind them as he continued to drag the poor woman to god knows where.

Only, unannounced, a secondary pair of eyes had been watching the duo. The body slipped from the shadows, and followed the two at a distance, as if not to alert them. 

After walking for what seemed to be forever, Leon came to a stop in the midst of the woods. Tall oaks were spread throughout, the grass dripping with an early morning dew. The big pale moon shined it's rays through the rough branches of the trees, giving the forestry small patches of pale light. Like Mother Nature's street lights found in downtown LA. 

Snow took a careful glance around as she began to strip of her clothing, playfully throwing them at Leon, her shorts landing right in front of his eyes. He sighed in relief, only earning a punch in his shoulder as he faked being hurt. Snow chuckled slightly, and Leon could tell she was shaking her head at him. 

Breaking the night time silence came the wretched sound of snapping bones, causing the male to grimace. Finally, he reached up to the shorts, removing them from his face as his eyes widened in surprise. The woman with luscious black curls and wolf like attributes was gone- replaced by a giant wolf standing almost up to his chest.  Yet it wasn't no ordinary wolf, as it had a similar metal limb for one of its hind legs, just as Snow had described before. 

With careful steps, he approached, holding his hand to her snout, in which she brushed her face against his cooling touch. The fur beneath his fingers was soft as silk, black as onyx with a vibrant stripe of purple running from her forehead down to the end of the tail.

"So, this is the wolf you mentioned."He murmured, not expecting a verbal response, and instead just got another nudge against his arm. "I'll take that as a yes." He smiled slightly, seeing the wolf look up to his crimson orbs, and instantly recognized the similar purple irises of Snow. 

But the peace was eradicated when a low growl rumbled deeply from the wolf, crouching down defensively. Leon gave her a puzzled look, looking up in the direction of the apparent threat, his eyes narrowing as he felt his fangs elongate.

Standing in the shadows was a tall figure, just about matching Leon's height, hazel eyes peering out from the darkness. A low chuckle erupted form the unknown figure, his voice husky, but lighter than Leon's. 

Snow bared her canines threateningly, snarling as she readied to attack. 

"Ooh, scary." The voice teased, finally stepping out of the shadow of the branches above.

Coming into the pale moon light, it's rays illuminated the new stranger's features.  He was dressed fully in black, a knife holstered to his belt. Similar to Snow, two ears sat atop his his head, except these were of the feline nature with a similar tail behind him. Dusty blonde hair blocked his eyes partially, his skin tan and his face was well structured with high cheekbones and a strong jaw. "How cute,  you got a little guard dog." He purred, a slim black tail wagging behind him eagerly.

His words only seemed to infuriate the wolf causing her fur to stand on end, Snow threateningly snapping her teeth at him. Leon glared at the stranger in return. 

"Ah, I see Leon got some fire. Go ahead, release your inner beast." The stranger teased, earning a snarl from the both of them in return. "Too bad, you have to die."He chuckled, unsheathing a long blade from it's holster. In an instant, Leon recognized the cursed blade, and how the one he cared abut plunged one into his abdomen. The pain resonated in his abdomen, causing him to grit his teeth, 

Tired of his taunting, Snow lunged forth at the man, landing on his body as she snapped her teeth near his neck. Easily, he dodged most of her lunging attacks, one of her canines merely grazing his tanned skin as blood beaded to the surface of the broken skin. 

 "Alright, enough of you, wolf."He purred once more, using his foot to kick her off. With a yelp, Snow collided with a tree, dropping harshly to the ground. Leon watched, a look of concern filling his eyes, which quickly hardened into determination. 

Following her lead, he raced up to the dangerous man, rushing him and managing to capture him off guard as he slammed his body against another oak tree, his arm pressed against his windpipe. But he only smiled down at his prey, a sadistic glint in his eyes. "What do you want from me?!" He roared in anger, his gaze peering into the hazel one before him. The man chuckled in response, his breath cut slightly due to the increased pressure on his throat. 

"A true assassin doesn't ask questions." He smirked, only to be slammed against the rough bark again.  He coughed in response, but the same smirk played on his lips. 

"Who are you working for?" Leon demanded, glaring at him with pure anger, a blackness creeping into his crimson color. "And, they always follow through on a job."The man smiled wider, earning a confused look from Leon, which quickly turned to one contorted with agonizing pain.

He loosened his pressure on the man, hearing his body drop to the ground. He stumbled back, his breathing heavy as he looked down. There was a gaping wound into his chest, blood rising in his throat and starting to dance on his tongue. His world began to spin as he fell to the ground as well, feeling the wet grass blades caress his skin as darkness clawed at the edges of his vision.

The man walked over to his crumpled frame, bending down to his ear. "Tell the devil Dante sent ya." He chucked, his breath hot against the teens own cold flesh as he pulled away. The man now known as Dante straightened and flashed a toothy grin before he walked into the forestry, melting into the embrace of shadows. 

Leon could feel his lids become heavy, and a pressure building into his chest. He could feel his own blood dripping from his mouth, trailing down his cold skin as the darkness continued to grow in his vision. The last thing to be seen was Snow's face leaning over him, worry written all over her features as she called out to him. 

"Leon!" She cried and with that, he slipped into the darkness.