Are Quiet People Serial Killers?

For some reason I still remember this incident. Mostly because of how weird and random it was.

I was in math class (for some reason this stuff always happens in math class), and I was sitting at my table with a girl that the teacher paired me with. I remember not talking to her much because math was kind of a hard subject for me at the time and I wanted to focus even more than I usually did. Still, I was nice to the girl and always willing to help her if she needed it.

Then one day in math, she stopped working said something to me like "Why are you so quiet, Cam? I heard most quiet and shy people can grow up to serial killers and school shooters."

Okay, I know this is inappropriate, but I found that hilarious. I think I actually laughed at that statement. Surprisingly, though, when I asked and looked around, this was actually a fairly common view. It seems that many documented serial killers were quiet or shy in their youth.

And just to clarify, guys, I promise I am not a serial killer or school shooter. I swear on my mother's eyes. And no, she is not aware of this wager.

I think I can understand what made her say what she did, or at least influenced her.

If you look at cases of many school shootings or people that have killed other innocent people, those behind it are often described as "quiet" or "shy". Some people note that they were more reserved, or were not as quick to shot their emotions.

So it is inevitable that someone who is quieter or more reserved and keep to themselves may be seen as suspicious by other people.

And that goes for any shooting, or any serial killer, that has been described as "quiet" in any way.

That's not always true, though.

See, many famous serial killers aren't not suspected of a crime because they're quiet or are not social butterflies, but because they seem otherwise cheerful and content with their lives. Often, when others who know them describe them, they describe them as "normal" or "friendly" or charming whatever. Ted Bundy was a good example of that. He was described as gregarious and talkative, but was still a murderer and killed innocent people.

Many dangerous people are, yes, extroverted and talkative. That's why no one suspects them of doing bad things. They were even described as likable.

This is part of a bigger issue. Serial killers and dangerous people in general are not always easy and obvious to spot. A dangerous person could be your next door neighbor or even someone you trust. It won't necessarily be the creepy guy in the big jacket or the quiet kid in your class that scribbles pictures of skulls. Dangerous people can be, and often are, very intelligent.

With a lot of serial killers/shooters in the past, it's not always the fact that they were shy/reserved that was misleading people, it's the fact that they seemed outwardly normal. There are a lot of other factors that could play it into as well. Some people are abused at home. Some people don't have the capacity to feel emotion. Sometimes because of how they grew up, sometimes because they were born that way.

Millions of quiet people have grown up and are growing up to be happy, loving people who contribute to society.

I never actually thought I would do a post talking about how being quiet doesn't make someone a serial killer. I guess it's a more common view than I thought.

My point here is that introversion and shyness are not linked with sociopathic tendencies or anger. Everyone wants to improve themselves somehow. Just because someone wants to learn how to be more comfortable around people does not mean they want to hurt somebody. In the same way that someone who tends to talk a lot wants to learn how to listen more.

It's pretty much always another factor that is involved in these types of things. Being shy most certainly does not make someone a "serial killer" and it doesn't mean that they're "up to something." or "weird." or "creepy"

Sometimes people who are quiet as thought to be hiding something, or have some kind of special secret.

Quiet people are thought to be repressing dark feelings like anger or violence, and that simply isn't true. In some cases, of course, it may be, but the majority of the time, I'm safely gonna say that it's not. And as you know, some quiet people aren't shy either. They don't have problems talking, it's a decision they make because they want to step back and observe things. Quiet people are not always holding feelings or emotions inside. Most of them find other ways to communicate them.

Seriously, as much as I wish that I was secretly Wonder Woman and I don't talk because I don't want to give away my identity, there is nothing mysterious about me that makes me the special sneetch with the star on my belly. In fact, I always thought that those stars looked kind of lame. Seriously, what was so special about them?

Anyway, that's why sometimes you'll find a quiet kid coming out of left field with something that no one's ever thought to consider before. Not because they're sneaky, or conniving. Quiet people are just that. Quiet. You don't always know what to expect from them, but they're not sitting there planning a murder or robbery.

Good talk, right? Well, gotta go, that bank isn't gonna rob itself.

Just kidding.

Maybe.