Selective Mutism

Is there such a thing as being too quiet?

Of course. Just like there is such a thing as being too loud, there is such as thing as being too quiet.

I've been seeing and hearing about selective mutism a lot lately, and I thought I would spend a chapter talking about it because it seems to be that there's a lot of people who misunderstand selective mutism, or don't exactly know what it is.

I admit, until maybe a few months ago, I wasn't too sure what selective mutism was either. Now, I have a better idea.

So what exactly is selective mutism?

Well, the first thing to know is that selective mutism is an anxiety disorder that normally affects or is seen in younger kids. As far as I can tell, it is related to social anxiety, which I've mentioned before. In fact, most kids with selective mutism have social anxiety, which means that there is probably a strong link between them. Kids with selective mutism tend to not speak in some situations, like at school or outside the house, but they will speak in others, like when they're back at home with family.

That's why it's called selective mutism. The mutism tends to occur only in some situations and not others.

When I first heard about it, I thought this kind of thing happened because a kid chose not to speak in those situations, and I wondered why that kind of thing would happen and what would cause it. I realize now that the issue itself is more complicated than I'd thought.

Selective Mutism may be a genetic thing. In other words, if one family had this problem, they may risk passing it on to their kid.

What this basically seems like to me is someone who's shy, but this goes beyond being simply a little nervous or timid around other people. This is an anxiety disorder, where sometimes expressing opinions even to family members can be difficult. This is a pretty serious thing. In some cases, kids might actually get upset because other people have seen them talk.

It's often mistaken for autism. Probably because like some people with autism, people with selective mutism may have trouble making eye contact or extreme difficulty expressing emotions. While people with autism and selective mutism may display the same symptoms, they are different diseases that are treated in different ways.

Selective Mutism is pretty rare, but as for the kids that do have it, or adults, I can't imagine what it must be like to go through something like that. While I can be shy and timid in public, I don't have Selective Mutism, and I imagine that it must be difficult and frustrating for everyone that has to deal with it.

Selective Mutism is not all that bad, though. People with it have been known to have above average intelligence, a love for music, empathy and sensitivity, and a strong moral sense of right and wrong.

There has been some misunderstanding about why selective mutes behave the way they do. For some reason, a lot of people think that it's a conscious choice that's made, and that being "tougher" on these kids is somehow going to make them talk more.

It's not a conscious choice. If these kids or adults really had a choice, do you think they would be such free speakers at home while not saying anything when they're in public? I don't think so. Treating Selective Mutism is something that should be done through patience and without judgement. It might take a while before progress is made, and that's okay.

I strongly believe that the goal should first be to make kids like this feel more comfortable being around people and sharing their opinions before trying to make them talk. It's not something that will happen overnight and even if Selective Mutism is treated, you won't guarantee that the person who had it will transform into a chatterbox.

However, it is important that Selective Mutism is treated in the best way possible, so the people with it can have a better quality of life.

Selective Mutism, like autism, is an umbrella term. It can be used to describe several different kinds of problems in a bunch of different kinds of children. The causes are not always known, but the issue is there.

Do I believe that Selective Mutism has anything to do with introversion? Well, I do believe that Selective Mutism is related to shyness, as a lot of kids with Selective Mutism do tend to be shy, only that it is a much stronger form of shyness. But I do not believe that Selective Mutism is a form of introvertism. Selective Mutism is a diagnosed anxiety disorder. That is different from introversion, which is more of a personality trait.

A child with Selective Mutism may need help overcoming it. Is it something that you can overcome without any treatment? I honestly don't know.

Anyway, as there is a difference between being a Selective Mute and an Introvert, I wanted to touch bases with what Selective Mutism actually was, since a lot of people are actually not really aware of it.

Selective Mutism is not something that is really understood that well, even by people in the medical and scientific community. Sometimes it is misdiagnosed, and I'm sure that sometimes children with Selective Mutism are dismissed as "rude" or "stubborn" when they should be helped with it.

I think understanding what Selective Mutism is is important in treating it, and it's important to remember that people with Selective Mutism are not freaks of nature or people to make fun of.