Coffee

"Where are you going in such a rush Liv??" Asked Brian lazily sitting on the couch watching her. "Well, like I said last night, I'm going out for coffee with an old friend." "What am I supposed to do then?" "You said you didn't wanna go to the movies or out to eat or tag along, and you said I shouldn't be stuck in the house all day so...I don't know." "Wow Liv, real thoughtful...but at least you're getting out, have fun I guess." Liv just smirked as she headed out the door.

At the coffee place, Liv went and sat at their old spot in the back corner and ordered their usuals until he arrived moments later. "Hey Liv, see you remembered our spot." He said with a smile while taking his drink from the waitress. "Yup...so.." "So, hows life been for you?" "Oh it's been, it's been good you know. Still revolving around the job, so, not much is new." Liv said as she shook her head and took a sip of her beverage. "You?" "Oh you know...pretty hectic I guess. The kids are off in college, Kathleen is all grownup and Eli is just starting school. Plus I just moved back here so yeah, hectic." Elliot said with a chuckle. "Oh, where'd you go?" "Well I tried Jersey but I didn't like it so I went to Chicago and stayed their while the twins got situated for college. Now I'm back though." He replied "How's the job anyways, still the same? Different?" "Oh," Liv said putting her drink down "There's a couple new guys but mostly everyone is still there...Fin, Munch, Cragen." "Ahhh! How are they anyways?!" "They're all doing good, nothing real hectic at the moment." Olivia replied. "That's good. Your new partner, what's he like?" He asked with all of a sudden serious eyes. "Oh." She answered surprised "He's not bad. He's still getting used to everything but he's a really good guy in general. Actually he's a lot like you..." she trailed off when she realized his eyes focused more deeply on her. She cleared her throat and looked at her cup "He's a good guy." "That's..good. Yeah that's really good at least he's not someone really new that you have to babysit." He said not knowing what to change the subject to. They sat there for a couple minutes in silence until the bill came. Olivia reached out and grabbed it before Elliot could. "Oh I see Liv thinks she's paying for stuff now." He laughed as he watched her pull out her money. "Of course! All those years you payed for me why not." She laughed back. They sat there staring in each other's eyes until Livs phone buzzed. "Oh....it's Brian. Wow we've been here for two hours!" "Oh wow that long?" Elliot replied looking less happy "So you and Brian now.." "Uhh yeah we decided to give it another go..." she said as she heard the disappointment in his voice. Damnit Liv you're gonna do it. She thought before speaking "Although...I, I don't think that we're gonna make it. I mean don't get me wrong he is a good guy just not the right guy." She said as she saw his eyes fill with light. "Oh" he said trying not to sound happy "Well let's get you home and we can meet up again later. You still got my number." He said as he nodded towards her phone and began to get up. She stood up and nodded as she headed towards the door. Once in the car the silence returned. "El I really did miss you. The job isn't the same without you." She said as she looked over at him. "I missed you too Liv but, the girl...I couldn't handle it and I just needed to get away. But don't ever think that I forgot about you." He said with a warm, bright smile. Hearing that reassured her....almost. Why didn't he at least say goodbye?? And why hasn't he mentioned Kathy? I guess it was usual not to bring her up in our normal conversations but, he brought up everyone else...but what was strangest to Liv was how he acted. Like, like he was scared to look at her or touch her. It was like he thought she was broken or something, and she couldn't figure out why..