Chapter 5: Justice

(Barbara got off the bus and got home all depressed and worn out from what just happened at the circus.)

Barbara: (Thoughts) "Oh, my god. I can't believe that just happened. I saw Dick and his parents at the fair having the time of their performance being happy and I was happy until they fell and...they were dead. Just like that and now, Dick needs some space away from me? But did I cause him pain? I hope I didn't. God, what a nightmare it is. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight after that happened and...here I am once again. Talking to myself in my own head. Barbara, just watch some cartoons and call it a night." (Barbara walked into the living room and sat on the couch. She turned on the tv and cartoons appeared on the screen. Suddenly, the news suddenly came out of nowhere.)

Jack: (COM) "Hello, we have breaking news for tonight's awful tragedy at Haly's Circus." (Barbara got irritated and turns off the tv.)

Barbara: "Goodness, what's the point if you're going to show that on tv if it already happened? Bunch of late dummies if you ask me. Why not do it when it happens, not until later then do it. What am I even talking about? I'm not a reporter." (She rolled her eyes and smacked her forehead. Then, she got up and went to her bedroom. She sat on the bed and heard her phone pinged. It was a message from Francine.)

Barbara: "Frankie?" (She texted her in the messages.)

Barbara: (Texted) "Hey, Frankie."

Frankie: (Texted) "Hey, Barbara. What's going on?"

Barbara: (Texted) "Something bad happened last night. Have you watched the news?"

Frankie: (Texted) "Yeah, it's terrible news indeed."

Barbara: (Texted) "Yeah. Well, I have to go. It's getting really late. How's your legs?"

Frankie: (Texted) "I don't know. I'm trying. I'm really trying my hardest."

Barbara: (Texted) "I get it. It takes effort to pull it off. I believe that you can walk again. You just have to keep trying even harder."

Frankie: (Texted) "Thanks, Babs. Good night."

Barbara: (Texted) "Good night, Frankie. Sweet dreams."

Frankie: (Texted) "Thank you. The same goes to you. 😊" (Barbara smiled and got out of the messages and saw Dick's name. She was about to press it, but she held back. She closed her eyes and thought about it.)

Barbara: (Thoughts) "No, probably not a good time. He just lost his parents and he needs time to relax. I don't think he'll be in the mood to talk to me. It's late for one thing." (Barbara looks at the clock and saw the time. It was 11:00 pm and she looked at her phone and sighed.)

Barbara: (Thoughts) "Yeah, maybe tomorrow. All I know is that I won't be wide awake when I wake up. Great..." (Barbara went to sleep and a few hours later, Jim came in and saw Barbara in her room sleeping. He didn't want to bother her, so he went in the room and went to sleep as well. The morning sun rose up and Barbara was already awoken with bags under her eyes. She looks into the mirror.)

)