Chapter 18: Something's Wrong

(The sound of a flashlight was turning on as Alfred looked over Ace's wound. Batman was over at his table taking off his cowl, Nightwing was checking to see if his staff was in good shape and Batgirl was pacing back and forth with her cowl off, of course. Her hands were on her temples as she couldn't believe what she has witnessed.)

Batgirl: "I can't believe that I did this to Ace." (Bruce looked over to Batgirl, concerned.)

Bruce: "Barbara, you shouldn't panic. He will be fine."

Batgirl: "I just hope that I made the right choice in bringing him into his first mission."

Nightwing: "And look how that turned out, Barbara." (Batgirl turned to Nightwing in frustration.)

Batgirl: "I'm getting to you next!" (Nightwing was stunned at her face and just stayed quiet. Alfred just finished patching him up.)

Alfred: "There. I'm done." (Batgirl was worried as she ran towards Ace and stopped in front of him while holding his paw and rubbing it. Batgirl turned around and looked at Alfred.)

Batgirl: "When do you think that he'll wake up?" (Batgirl looked at Ace again almost in tears.)

Alfred: "To be honest, I don't know. It shouldn't take very long for the antibiotics to set in."

Batgirl: "Will you call me and let me know when he does?" (Alfred grabbed her shoulder and squeezed it gently.)

Alfred: "Of course I will, Barbara. Don't worry about your little friend. He will be just fine." (Batgirl got up and turned to Alfred.)

Batgirl: "Thank you, Alfred." (She gave him a hug.)

Alfred: "No. You don't have to thank me. I was just here to patch him up."

Batgirl: "You did a lot that you could to help him. I appreciate that."

Alfred: "Anytime."

Batgirl: "May I change my clothes in the house, Alfred?"

Alfred: "Yes, you may and it's also your house, too. A friend of Bruce is a friend in the household and you are welcome to stay here."

Batgirl: "Thanks."

Alfred: "You're welcome." (Batgirl kissed Ace's little head and went to the upper part of the house to change clothes and Nightwing thought of following her.)

Nightwing: "Guys, I'll be back. I'm going to talk to Barbara."

Alfred: "Please use caution and try not to rile her up, Grayson. She may never wants to talk you again. Be gentle with her."

Nightwing: "That's going to be hard to do, but I will try for you, Alfred. Thanks for the advice." (He went upstairs to catch Barbara. Barbara just got out of the bathroom with her decoy boots on helping her move. Nightwing got in front of her.)

Nightwing: "Barbara, where are you going?"

Barbara: "Out of my way, Dick."

Nightwing: "Not until you tell me where you're going."

Barbara: "Okay, first you bring Batman to stop me and now you want me to tell you where I'm heading? I don't think so." (She was going to walk past Dick, but he grabbed her arm.)

Barbara: "Let go!"

Nightwing: "Tell me where are you going!"

Barbara: "Goddamn it! I'm going home!"

Nightwing: "Home?" (Barbara looked away from Dick's gaze and crossed her arms.)

Nightwing: "It wasn't because of me, right?"