Chapter 14: A Weird Encounter

(Barbara was in the hospital bed watching TV until a knock came at the door.)

Barbara: "Come in." (Then the door was opening up and Jim came in.)

Jim: "Hey, sweetheart. I just came to see how you were doing."

Barbara: "Oh, hey dad. I'm okay."

Jim: "Are you sure? You don't want anything to eat, do you?"

Barbara: "Nah, the nurses already gave me food. I'm good, dad. You don't have to worry about me."

Jim: "I know, I know. I'm just infuriated that I wasn't there when you needed me."

Barbara: "Dad. It's fine and Nightwing came and rescued me. If he wasn't there, I wouldn't have made it sooner or later."

Jim: "Yeah, but I'm thankful that he did that. If he was here, I would've thanked him a million times just for saving your life and speaking of...I got more cases to go on." (Barbara looked at the clock.)

Barbara: "Yeah, it's now 9:50. Don't want to keep the Batman and his team waiting."

Jim: "You're right, but are you going to be okay in here?"

Barbara: "I'll be fine, dad. Nothing bad is going to happen to me." (Barbara touched Jim's hands and he held hers.)

Jim: "I love you, Babs."

Barbara: "I love you, too." (Jim smiled and got up.)

Jim: "Just try to get some rest, okay? I'll return within a few hours to come stay with you."

Barbara: "Well, you really don't have to. I have the nurses here to keep me company."

Jim: "Okay, but I'm still coming check on you. Don't stay up too late and know that I'll be here if you need me." (He kissed her forehead and Barbara smiled.)

Barbara: "Don't worry. I still have courage and pride in myself." (Jim chuckled.)

Jim: "Just like your mother." (He walked out of the door and closed it gently. Minutes later, a nurse came in and fluffed her two pillows.)

Nurse: "There we go. Two pillows fluffed and a nice warm blanket with a heat pack to keep you warm."

Barbara: "Thanks, Nurse Charlotte."

Charlotte: "Anytime. Is there anything else you want before I leave?"

Barbara: "No, I'm good. You're too kind."

Charlotte: "Hey, not every child patient is like you. If I ever had a child that was really kind and gentle, I think I prefer it to be just like you."

Barbara: "Wow, thank you, Nurse Charlotte. I actually feel better when you said that."

Charlotte: "Good. I'm glad I can make you happy. Now, rest. You're going to need it." (She winked at her and closed the door. Barbara smiled as she looked out the window toward the stars. Ten o' clock, she was out like a light. It was quiet and peaceful until someone whispered a strange language.)

**Mysterious Voice: "Retne reh dnim." (Suddenly, Barbara's mind went into a dream state. She woke up and noticed that she was Batgirl as she looked at her yellow gloved hands.)

**Batgirl: (Thoughts) "What the hell is this? Am I still in the hospital? What is going on?" (She was looking around and there was nothing, but blackness.)

**Mysterious Voice: "Look forward." (Batgirl jumped as she heard the voice and was about to take out her batarang, but she stopped and instead looked forward. There was a silhouette within 10 feet distance. Batgirl squinted and tried to look carefully at the silhouetted figure, but it was too dark. Batgirl felt a little spooked by this.)