The First of Many Disasters

(Y/N) started shaking as soon as the sun fell. They were waiting in line for the Ferris wheel when the sun finally vanished behind the mountains. Tomoe didn't notice that she had begun to shake until the little fox on his shoulder started to. He looked at her, and studied her worriedly. Her eyes were wide and alert, like a frightened dog, and she shook like a leaf in a storm. Tomoe placed a hand on her shoulder, and she flinched, yelping softly.

"S-sorry, you just scared me a little." She mumbled the apology, her eyes darting every which way.

"What is wrong?" Tomoe asked her, trying to keep his voice soft and calm like she did when she was soothing the baby fox.

She didn't answer. She just followed Nanami into the closed compartment of the Ferris wheel. Tomoe climbed in, and sat opposite (Y/N), keeping her fixed in his lavender eyes. When they stared to move again, she jumped, digging her nails into the edge of the bench.

"Relax, (Y/N), this ride is completely safe!" Nanami shouted, completely oblivious to the fact that her fear wasn't from the Ferris wheel.

When they reached the top, (Y/N) glanced out the window curiously. Her face momentarily softened back to the childish joy. She seemed to be doing better. Tomoe smiled, and looked out the opposite window. Everything seemed fine, until he heard her scream. It was a scream of absolute fear. Tomoe turned back, and leaned towards her. She was curled up on the bench, her knees were tucked against her chest, her hands covered her ears, and her eyes were squeezed shut. Tomoe reached out to help her. The moment his fingertips touched her arm, he understood.

He felt an uncontrollable fear all around him, as if he'd been transported inside of his own personal hell. Worst of all, he felt pain. He wasn't sure where the pain came from, but it consumed him. He felt as though his body was being boiled and shredded at the same time. The all consuming pain and fear seemed to grow, until he thought he might lose his mind.

He tumbled back, and knocked his head against the Ferris wheel bench. The pain and fear vanished as soon as he stopped touching (Y/N). He shook his head, and looked back up at the quivering goddess. Her right hand was extended, and she looked at him through fearful eyes. Her breathing was heavy and fast. She pushed me away. Tomoe realized, half grateful half worried.

(Y/N) staggered to her feet, and forced open the door to the small compartment. Nanami shouted inaudibly. Tomoe tried to stand up, but (Y/N) looked at him. Fear still consumed her, but her eyes were commanding. "Don't stop me, and don't follow me." She hissed, before transforming into a large hawk. She leapt out the door, and wobbly glidded away. Her left wing sagged as though weighed down.

Tomoe tried to go after her, but his body wouldn't respond. Why can I not move? He questioned as he struggled against his invisible bonds. Nanami grabbed his arm, and helped him up onto the bench. I seem able to move like this. He recalled her previous words, and a realization struck him. When we first spoke she said she could command animal like Yokai, and influence the rest. Do her words bind me?

Before long, they reached the ground. He and Nanami climbed out, and tried to get their bearings. Nanami now held the quivering baby fox, who had fallen from Tomoe's shoulder. "Where did she go? I can't see her anywhere." Nanami mumbled.

Damn! Tomoe cursed to himself. "Fox fire, find (Y/N)!" He shouted. Four glowing orbs of flame shot out from his hand, but they just sat there quivering in the wind. "I told you to find (Y/N)!" He growled at the orbs.

"Tomoe-sama, we can not." The voice came from the first fox fire.

"Why not?" Tomoe hissed at the flames.