At the End

"It's been some time, (Y/N)."

"Indeed, Mikage."

"Why don't you take a seat? We can both catch up." Mikage hummed, gesturing to the open space beside him.

"I suppose it couldn't hurt." You smiled, and sat down. Mikage poured a cup of sake, and handed it to you. "Thanks." You sipped slowly on the cup this time, not wanting to worry the old land god.

"I was surprised to see you staying at the shrine." Mikage began. "I never thought you would go there again." He looked at you, his eyes questioning.

"I didn't have any other option at the time." You shrugged. "After that, I got a little to comfortable having shelter and a bed. What about you? From what I've heard, you abruptly left the shrine."

"I fear Tomoe was growing to comfortable with how his life was. He needed to open his heart to another, not just in caring, but in love." Mikage stated. "It's been around 400 years... since you left him with me."

You drank the last of the sake in your cup. "Has it really been that long? It seems like only a few decades." You gazed wistfully at the clouds that lazily drifted overhead. "I appreciate you taking care of him for me. I know it can't have been easy."

"Indeed, it was quite troublesome. Particularly dealing with his altered memories and repressing the curse." Mikage chuckled, as he refilled your cup.

Pain flared into your head, as Munakata continued his sadistic practices. You grimaced, and pressed the heel of your palm to your right eye. Mikage looked at you, worry in his kind eyes. Your vision became blurry from the overwhelming pain. After a few minutes, the pain subsided. You panted, your eyes squinted painfully.

"I wish there was some way for me to stop the curse that plagues you too." Mikage whispered softly.

You forced a smile. "It's alright, this is nothing." 

"You don't always need to play the tough act, you know." Mikage hummed, as he refilled the cup you'd just drained.

"I'm aware."

"Then why did you decide to take the responsibility of dealing with all of Tomoe's enemies? You know there are many who would like to kill him..."

"I know it's reckless, but, whatever he decides to do, I want to give him a clean slate." 

"And what if he decides to return to his more wicked ways?" 

You shrugged. "I'll go back to Yomi, as promised."

"And what of Tomoe? The other gods will seek his death."

You looked up at the distant clouds, and sighed. "I'll think of something. I wouldn't let anyone kill him before, so I sure as hell am not letting it happen now." Another pain shot through your spine, causing your body to spasm. You lost your grip on your sake cup, and it tumbled to the ground, its contents spilling out. You gritted your teeth, and forced yourself into an upright position.

"Are you alright?"

"It's fine." You struggled to keep the false smile stable. "However, I think I'll be returning to my quarters early." You muttered, your forced smile faltering under the fear and pain.

"Would you like me to escort you?" Mikage asked.

"I'll be fine. Besides, I think I can hear a certain someone coming this way." You chuckled softly. You got to your feet, and dusted off your kimono. "I'll see you around, Mikage." Without another word, you transformed into a sparrow, and launched into the air. You made your way back to your room, and flew in the cracked window. You transformed back in midair, and landed on the wooden floor. You stumbled, but managed to keep yourself from falling. The pain was growing with each passing second, and you weren't nearly intoxicated enough to take your mind from it.