Visiting the Past

Tomoe didn't bother you the rest of the night. You talked with Nanami about normal things for a while, but finally you headed off to bed. You passed out almost immediately.

The next morning, you were surprised to discover that Nanami wasn't at school. "What's going on?" You yawned. "And where's Tomoe?"

"Lady Nanami has developed a cold, so the fox went to school in her stead." Ryuu answered you. You were about to shrug and go about your business, when you noticed a familiar snake in the kitchen.

"Why is Mizuki here?" You pointed at the snake familiar.

"Apparently he decided to visit since Tomoe is gone." Nanami mumbled.

Mizuki was cooking food. You didn't pay much attention until they started talking about the old Tomoe. Mizuki was talking about how he was a wild fox who would kill her in her sleep if she let her guard down.

"That's enough Mizuki." You said. "Don't scare the poor girl."

"Forgive my impertinence," Ryuu cut in. "but I have to agree with the snake."

"What are you talking about?!" Nanami protested.

Ryuu looked her straight in the eyes. "I will never forgive that fox for what he did." The familiar hissed. Nanami seemed startled, but she didn't let his words break her resolve.

"Maybe a trip into the distant past will show you what that fox is." Mizuki whispered.

You sighed. "If you are going to do this, send me too." You addressed the snake.

"I will be sending only your souls. Since you were alive during that time, you will be placed into your own body." Mizuki added.

"I'm well aware of the capabilities of your device." You replied.

The snake familiar nodded, and lit the burner. It didn't take long for it to take effect. Your vision slowly faded away, and you fell unconscious.

-----------------------------------------

When you finally woke, you were in a forest. You looked at yourself, and knew where you'd been sent. You glanced to your side, and saw a girl that had long been dead. You got back to your four padded feet, and shook the mud from your pristine white fur. You were in the form of a wolf, and beside you was the girl once known as Yukiji, although you figured Nanami's spirit was currently inhabiting her body. After all, this is where Tomoe was.

You walked over to Yukiji... or Nanami at the moment, and nudged her face with your damp snout. Slowly the girl began to stir. When she saw you, she recoiled somewhat. You didn't want to reveal your identity to her, so you just played the part of the worried dog.

It took several minutes before Nanami realized she was no longer in her own body. "Someone help...it...hurts." A weak voice called from the bushes.

You growled softly at the voice, knowing all too well what was going to happen, but you did nothing to stop it. It was not your place to change the course of history. Nanami ran to the boy's side, and gathered him into her arms. The boy gave her some sob story about running away from Akura-o to warn her, but you weren't fooled.

You did nothing to stop Nanami, as she carried the boy to an abandoned house. You took refuge inside. You sat in the corner, watching as Nanami tried to tend to the boy's wounds. It wasn't until the yokai showed its true face that you made your move. The yokai's hand closed around Nanami's throat. The beast held her up into the air, then slammed her into the wooden floor of the hut. Without hesitation, you lunged at the ugly green beast. You knew what was going to happen, so you were just going through the motions, like a puppet in a play. You sank your teeth into the yokai's shoulder. The yokai howled, and released Nanami, before swatting you off of his shoulder. You hit the ground standing, and growled at the yokai. You didn't get the chance to attack again, of course, because a wall of foxfire consumed the brute in an instant.