A Little of the Old Spirit

You stepped up onto the mat, as Kurama did the same. For a yokai, his form wasn't the best. In the sense of kendo, his stance wasn't half bad, but it wasn't very good for real combat. He had a very limber and light stance, but lacked any sort of firmness. You saw a dozen different ways you'd be able to knock him off balance with only one or two moves.

Battle is like a game of chess or shogi; you have to be quick and precise, while also standing firm and not backing down. In order to apply the concept into real combat, you have to be able to react at a moments notice, while also being able to take a hit. It was a fine balance that was learned over time. Thinking would do no good, it was something your body had to become familiar with. It was clear, Kurama wasn't very familiar with combat.

You looked over to the coach, who was still trying to read his book. "Is this a formal match, or can we fight freely?" You asked the coach in a respectful tone.

"Whatever, go wild." He mumbled, not looking up from his book. You smirked, and nodded.

The coach started the match, and Kurama began to taunt you. "Don't push yourself too hard, we wouldn't want to dirty that pretty little face of yours."

"I don't think my face is going to have any problems." You retorted. You shot forward, before he had time to react. You went just past his left side, and brought your shinai across the back of his feet. In a second, Kurama was flat on his back, with the point of your shinai hovering just above his throat, his cocky expression gone.

When the coach finally looked up, he gave you the point. You backed away, and went back to your starting position. Kurama seemed a little startled by you. "Where'd that come from?" He grumbled quietly enough that only you, and maybe Tomoe, could hear.

"Tsk, tsk, little Tengu. You are so quick to forget who I am." You hummed the reply. "I may be acting as a human, but I've been alive longer than anyone here. I'm also not very fond of losing." You whispered as quietly as he had.

The mach was started, but Kurama was much more ridged, too ridged in fact. You sighed, and shook your head in disappointment. You shot forward once again, this time facing him head on. Because of how stiff he was, and how tight he was holding his shinai, you easily dodged his counter attack. You sidestepped his attack, and brought your own bamboo sword down upon the top of his head. The crack was loud, but you'd made sure to hold back so as not to hurt him. The crack was loud enough to draw the coach's attention away from his oh so important book. You were declared the winner, obviously.

You turned to step off the mat, but stopped, and looked back at Kurama. "You went from being too limber, to being too stiff. You need to find the balance of the two, not just for the sake of your swordplay." You called to him, before walking off the mat opposite him.

Tomoe didn't get the chance to say anything to you, because his match was up next. He was up against the vice captain of the kendo team, but you weren't worried about him. You were sure the cocky fox would be your final opponent.

Tomoe seemed to have a little difficulty with the small sword wielding girl, but you could tell he was still holding back. It wouldn't have looked good if he'd creamed her. You were actually quite surprised by the skill of the young human girl. She swiped at Tomoe, and actually managed to hit him. He looked startled. It probably burned him up getting struck by a human girl. He charged her with even more ferocity than before. He made quick work finishing her off.

The human girl seemed a little disappointed, but kept up a brave face. You met her at the edge of the mat, and smiled at her. "You fight really well! It's no wonder you're the vice captain of the kendo team!" You grinned, trying to boost her spirits. After all, she was impeccable at the sport, it wasn't her fault she was up against a yokai. She nodded gratefully at you, and continued off the mat.

Tomoe smirked at you, his cockiness getting the best of him. You held up a finger, gesturing for him to wait a minute. You approached the coach, and smiled at him. "You must be getting tired of sitting there. Why don't you take a bathroom break?" You asked, lacing your words with your godly power.

He seemed to contemplate what you'd said, before standing. "I'm going to take a bathroom break. Karma will referee this match. If I'm not back before class ends, just leave." He addressed the class, before leaving the gym.

You smirked, before turning back to Tomoe. He seemed a little surprised. "What did you do?"

"I just suggested he take a break." You smirked at the boy. "Anyways, you should be more focused on this match."

Karma stepped up to the edge of the mat, and looked at the two of you. You grinned at Tomoe, before speaking again. "Is anyone against the two of us having a free-for-all match, since the coach is gone?" You once again laced your words with power. You saw the majority of the class nod in agreement with your idea, along with Karma.

"You really are quite terrifying." Tomoe sighed.

"I take that as a compliment you chuckled. Why don't we keep the strike points the same? That way it isn't too confusing. We keep going until we are no longer able to fight, or one of us scores two points." You suggested.

"Sounds good to me." Tomoe smirked. "Let's keep it fair though, no powers."

"Of course not! We don't want to scare our audience~" You hummed.

"Alright, fight!" Karma shouted.

Tomoe shot forward to strike at you, but you leapt to the side. You brought your shinai across the back of his legs, causing him to flip backwards, and land on his back. You slashed down at his head, but he rolled away in the nick of time. You had to admit, it was quite difficult to have a semi-serious fight against him in such limited space. He got back to his feet, just in time to block your next strike with his bamboo sword. The two of you locked blades for a moment, both grinning wildly. You jumped back from him, and readied yourself for his next attack. He charged you once again. This time, you slashed at his sword. Your plan was to knock his shinai to the side, to open him up for attack, but that's not how it worked. Unfortunately, bamboo swords aren't as durable as what the two of you were used too. Tomoe's sword splintered upon contact, showering you in bamboo fibers.

Everyone seemed startled. Sure, bamboo swords occasionally broke, but it wasn't usual for them to break clean in half. Tomoe seemed the most startled. He eyed your bamboo sword skeptically, noticing a little of your trick. "This match is over." Karma called. "Since class is about to end, and Tomoe's shinai broke, (y/n) is the winner!"

Tomoe seemed a little irked by the tengu's declaration, but let it slide. You turned to walk off the mat. "Let's do this again, with the real thing." You chuckled, as you headed to the showers.