Never Ending

You struggled to pull yourself out of what remained of a row of pine trees. Your legs shook, and blood dripped down your fingers. The massive tsuchigumo (spider demon) clacked its mandibles, as it crept closer. It had been nearly a month since the Divine Assembly came to an end, and you'd been fighting ever since. You reeked of blood, and your body was constantly in pain. Your body was crisscrossed with wounds, and you'd barely rested in weeks. The only thing that kept you going was your will and pride.

"I told you last time, if I have to fight you again, I won't hold back." You growled at the yokai. Stepping forward, you transformed. Your body didn't change much. The only change was what was inside. Your humanoid form was nearly identical to your target creature, just without their powers. "Now burn." You hissed. With a flick of your wrist, a turquoise mass of flame shot towards the creature. The massive spider writhed in pain, as your foxfire seared every inch of its body.

Pain shot through your body, invisible flames devouring your own flesh. You fell to your knees, and gritted your teeth through the pain. In a matter of moments, what remained of the spider fell to the ground with a thud. It took you a few minutes to catch your breath, before you could push yourself up from the ground. "I'm sorry." You whispered under your breath, guilt tearing at your insides.

"There you are, you abomination!" Came a shout you were all too familiar with.

"I'm surprised you restrained yourself for this long. I thought you'd attack me within the first week, Ikusagami." You looked up at the annoying god, and chuckled.

"Unlike you, I have actual responsibilities." Ikusagami snarled. "I'm here to put an end to you and those yokai you protect!" Without waiting for a response, the god of war shot down towards you.

In the blink of an eye, you both drew your swords. The blades clashed in a shower of sparks, but only stayed connected for a second, before you both leapt back. Your breathing was ragged, and your vision had started to grow blurry. You could feel the stain of the miasma growing. It wouldn't be much longer before you could no longer hide it under your clothes.

Without a doubt, fighting a god in your state was one of your most foolish acts. However, you refused to give up like that. Ikusagami rushed forward again. You raised your sword to intercept his own, but pain shot through your head as a yokai's terror hit you. Your stance wavered, and the god of war took advantage of it. His sword slammed into yours, but you weren't ready to counter his power. The force of his attack threw you backwards. You slammed through several trees, and eventually crashed to a stop on the stairs leading to the shrine.

"Milady!"

"(Y/N)!"

Through your blurry vision, you saw Ryuu and Nanami rushing towards you. Ryuu knelt beside you, and tried to touch you, but you swatted away his hand. "This is my fight, stay out of it." You gasped. You pushed yourself back to your feet, barely keeping your knees from giving out.

"Why don't you use your godly form? Surely then you'd be able to put up more of a fight!" Ikusagami mocked, as he walked down the path you'd cleared with your body. "Oh, that's right, you can't control it when you're weakened, can you?"

You spat out a mouthful of blood, and wiped the blood off your face with your sleeve. "For the god of war, you sure do talk a lot in a fight." You snarled.

"Milady, please let me help. You are in no condition..." Ryuu started.

"Ryuu, take Nanami into the shrine. I told you before, you are to protect her, nothing more." You growled, lacing your words with your divine power.

With a pained look in his eyes, he grabbed Nanami, and hurried up the stairs. Nanami tried to protest, but you didn't hear what she was trying to say before Ikusagami rushed you. You leapt to the side in the nick of time. Ikusagami's sword cleaved a chunk out of the stairs, and you momentarily felt worry seep into your mind.