chapter two - wall

Casey

After first period's fail at being on time, I was not about to be late to my second period. Jovie assured me I would be fine, but I didn't believe her. She only said that because she knew the school, I didn't, I never got the tour.

I won't lie when I say I hit a lot of people as I speed-walk through the halls, but I can't worry about that right now.

"Sorry, sorry," I murmur to people as I push past them. Some accept my apology, some give me dirty looks, some say nothing. I honestly don't care.

Until I hit a wall.

I stumble back after I hit the person, and someone else catches me.

"Watch where you're fucking going, dumbass," a deep voice growls.

I look up and see the Wall. Black, short, messy hair, dark blue eyes, tan skin, and a hard, broad body hidden in a t-shirt and khaki's stands before me, eyes glaring at me like I was its worst enemy.

"Hey - Mustard!" the person holding me exclaims.

I turn. It's Matt - Khakis.

"Hi," I say nervously.

"'Mustard'?" Wall snorts. "You know her, Matt?"

"Yeah, she's the new girl," Khakis helps me up. "Don't be so rough to her, man."

"Aw, come on, she looks like she can handle herself," Wall taps under my chin. "Can't you, Mustard?"

I scowl at him. I was done with this guy and I've only been here for a few minutes. "Get out of my way, Wall, I'm gonna be late."

By this time, people are staring.

"Casey," Khakis whispers. "You got some balls. But shut up."

"Wanna say that again?" Wall demands, getting up close and personal.

I would rise to my tiptoes to try and seem more intimidating, but if I did, the top of my head would reach only to his chin. "Get. Out. Of. My. Way."

"You got balls, Mustard?" He grins rudely at my nickname.

"More than you, apparently."

Wow, I was feeling bold today.

"Casey!" Khakis grunts as his and Wall's other friend - a guy wearing jeans and a sweatshirt - laughing loudly behind Wall, his light brown hair flapping as his head knocks back and forth.

I would call him Hair.

Wall towers over me. "Knock on wood, sweetheart."

I smile kindly. "Don't worry, Wall. I can handle myself quite well. Just try and do the same for yourself."

"This little peach is firing, Wall, just take a knee already!" another boy with Wall and Khakis cries.

I peer up at Wall who's face is mad with rage.

"I'll see you later, yeah?" I ask softly.

He huffs out a cold, minty breath. "Did you want me to pinky swear?"

I smile rudely and walk off to my next class.

Two points - Casey.

******

Throughout the day, people congratulate me on talking back to Wall, whose name was apparently Haze. Haze Beckett.

I like Wall better.

It was lunch time, and Jovie was still bragging to everyone about how much of a badass I was, and I was happy she was proud of me. When we enter the lunch line, we grab what we want, pay for it, then look around the Commons for a place to sit.