chapter ten - it's yours

Haze

I still couldn't believe it.

I almost kissed her.

It's been almost another week and every day, I couldn't help but think that I almost kissed her.

She never told me to stop.

I could've.

I haven't seen Matt much since that day, and he hasn't been texting me, so I figured that Casey told them. I know Matt likes her, but I never talked to him about it when we hung out.

I know I shouldn't have done anything to her when we were at my house, but I couldn't help it. Something was... drawing me to her. I need to control myself before I do something I regret.

******

"Haze," a deep voice says as I'm fixing my jeep one afternoon. I roll out from under the car and see Matt standing over me, a serious look on his face, his arms folded across his solid chest.

"Well, now you're talking to me," I scowl, rising to my feet. "What's up?"

"Look, man, I'm just telling you now; leave Case alone."

I stare at him.

Come again?

"Sorry, sweetie, what?" I asked.

He glares at me, now. "Leave. Case. Alone, Haze."

"She's my friend, Matt, you can't tell me I can't hang out with her."

"I'm not saying you can't hang out with her," he corrects. "I'm saying stop trying things on her. She told me you almost kissed her."

"Yeah, almost a week ago. So what?"

"And I'm don't with you being a jackass to her. Just leave her alone. She's mine. I'm not letting you get in the way of the possibility of her and I being together."

I scoff. "She'll never like you. You're a bitch and a moron. All you want her for is sex."

His face hardens at my failed assumption but fires back instead of defending himself. "And you don't?"

"I never said I wanted her."

"You never said you didn't, either."

I growled under my breath. "You  are the one who needs to stay away from her. You aren't good for her, and I want you to leave her alone for good. You are not to talk to her unless I'm around. I'm not dealing with your bullshit, Matt. I don't want you hurting her."

He scoffs. "Have fun trying to keep me from her. She's the one who tells me all of her problems, all of the bullshit you've done to her since we all met, and I've been the one that's been comforting her, taking care of her, helping her feel better, and babysit her brothers who love me. All that's left is her, and you won't be able to take her from me."

"Quit acting like I'm a toy," a voice suddenly whispers angrily.

We turn and I gulp as I see Jovie, Elias, and... Casey staring at us by Elias' Ford. Casey's looking down on the driveway, Elias' arm around her, her head under his chin.

"Case," Matt whispers. "Case, what are you guys doing here?"

"I told her and Jo you guys were here and they thought it'd be a good idea for us to go to a movie," Elias mutters.

"Obviously not." Jovie growls.

"Let's just go," Casey whispers.

"Case, - " I begin.