chapter eleven - babysitting

Casey

"So do you think you could babysit after school?" Wall asks me during lunch at school on Tuesday. "It'd only be until, like, seven."

"'Only'." I snort.

He makes a face. "Okay, five hours is a bit, but I'll pay you."

I sigh. "Alright. Fine." I look at my friends. "Where's Khakis?"

"He said he needs to finish a project for Studio Art." Hair replies.

I nod slightly but frown at my food. It's been about two weeks and Khakis and Wall still aren't talking. If they do have to talk, it's a simple, small conversation. It's been frustrating.

"So just come home with me after school?" Wall asks.

I nod and the bell rings for the end of lunch.

******

At the end of the day, the five of us meet up outside in the parking lot where the three cars are waiting.

"We'll see you guys later," I say to Jovie, Khakis, and Hair.

They nod and I hug Jovie and Hair, then walk over to Khakis who's leaning against his car on his phone. I lightly kick his knee and he looks at me.

"You gonna hug me or what, bitch?" I frown.

He grins and rolls his eyes, grabbing my arm and yanking me to him, hugging me tightly, making me laugh. I sigh and hug him back, his face in my shoulder, and I pull back after a little.

"Text me later so I know you're okay," I said.

He smiles and nods, kissing my cheek softly before I get in the Jeep with Wall, both of us driving to the middle school to pick the boys up.

"He's so annoying," Wall mutters during the drive while I turn on "Mine" by Bazzi.

"What'd he do now?" I groan, rolling my eyes.

"He's just annoying."

"You're annoying."

"Shut up."

"Make me."

"I will."

I slap his chest, and he slaps my thigh.

"I hate you."

"I love you."

I roll my eyes with a grin and blare "Mine" to drown him out.

Sadly, it doesn't work because he starts screaming the lyrics at the top of his lungs.

"I JUST! HAD TO! LET YOU! KNOW YOU'RE! MINE!" he screams.

I shriek with laughter and cover my ears as he continues screaming and dancing in his seat.

"DO YOU LOVE ME NOW?!" he screams at me.

"Will you stop screaming if I say yes?!"

"SAY YES AND WE'LL SEE!"

I laugh loudly and sigh. "Yes!"

"YES, WHAT?!

"Yes, I do!"

"YOU DO WHAT?!"

"YES, I LOVE YOU!"

He smiles and looks back at the road. "Much better."

I chuckle and roll my eyes, singing with Wall to "Mine", and then "Movie in my Mind".

******

When we arrive at Wall's, Wall carries me inside and the boys chase after us, whooping.

"Case is babysitting, Case is babysitting, Case is babysitting!" they chant.