chapter fourteen - tears

Casey

The next morning, I wake up to a note from Noah saying he left to go get his nose checked at the hospital, and that he would see me later on during the day.

I take a shower and get ready for the school day. I tell Hair and Khakis they don't need to come get me, but they tell me that they're going to, that they're not going to pick Haze up. That they heard what happened.

I'm afraid they're lying, but I let them come get me anyway. When the horn honks from outside, I walk out and, sure enough, only Hair, Khakis, and Jovie are inside.

No Haze.

I get in the back, everyone hugging me, Khakis handing me a coffee, and we head to school.

When we get to school, I don't see Haze. As the day drags on, still no sign of Haze.

"Where is he?" I ask Khakis lunch.

He sighs and shrugs. "I'm not really sure, Mustard. Probably out breaking bottles or fixing his car or just hiding at his place."

(Why do you care, he punched Noah in the face and possibly broke his nose.)

I don't know, I just... do. I know I shouldn't, but he's my friend.

(He doesn't deserve your pity.)

Stop being so harsh.

Suddenly my phone rings, startling me, and I look at who it is. Noah. I sigh and answer. "Hello?"

"Hey, Case."

"Hey. How are you, what's goin' on?"

"Well, my nose  is broken, but it'll be fine. I'll be out tomorrow"

"God, I'm so fucking sorry, Noah. You have no idea how sorry I am."

"Case,"  he says softly. "Honey, it's not your fault."

"Yes, it is," I whisper. "I shouldn't have gone, if I hadn't, Haze wouldn't have gotten mad at me. God, I feel like such a fuck-up. Haze is mad at me, you got punched in the face, the guys and Jovie are mad at Haze, I'm kind of mad at Haze, I feel like your mad at me,"

Hair squeezes my hand from across the lunch table.

"I just don't know what to do, Noah," I whisper. "None of us even know where Haze is."

It's silent on the other end for a while, except for small noises that I'm guessing is whispering, then there's a heavy, familiar sigh and a voice erupts from the other end.

"... Hey, Kitten."

I gasp softly. "Haze? Where are you, are you at the hospital with Noah?"

He sighs again. "Yeah. Figured I'd come apologize to him first."

I swallow. "Yeah."

It's quiet for a while, Khakis, Hair, and Jovie staring at me, fear coating their faces as they wait impatiently for anything to happen.

"... How are you?"

I swallow again. "Fine. You?"

"I feel like a jackass."

"Well, you kinda are, right now."

"I know... I'm so fucking sorry, Kitten."

I sigh, closing my eyes. "It's whatever."

"No, it's not. I reacted completely irrationally and irresponsibly and I'm so sorry. You have no idea how fucking bad it hurt hearing you cry like that and scream at me. I - I don't know what came over me, I don't know what happened, all I remember is walking over to your house to apologize, then seeing you two... y'know... "