chapter eight - hang out

Casey

It's been a few weeks since I first met the guys, and let me tell you, it's been interesting, adding with Khakis either actually flirting or fake flirting, to Noah flirting, to Wall being pissed at me, to taking care of my brothers while my mom is working, and trying to pass all my classes while trying to find a job. The boys and Jovie have offered to help a few times with the boys, which I've taken for granted, but I feel bad because Wall's been helping while he has to take care of two boys 24/7, three hundred, sixty-five days a year, and he hasn't asked for help once.

He's obviously a lot better at his job than me.

******

"So how's your mom been doin'?" Khakis asks me as he, Hair, and Jovie are over at my house, watching my oldest younger brothers - Tony and Walsh - play a car video game.

I shrug. "Better, I guess." I groan. "I don't know how Haze does it all the time. He can have a job and go to school and pass with flying colors and be popular and take care of two kids all by himself. I can't do shit compared to him."

"Man, shut up, you're just not used to this. Haze has been doin' this since he was fifteen." Hair adds.

I stare at him. "Fifteen?"

"Yeah. Folks died in a car accident, he's taken care of those two morons since," He smiles. "Those three have been through shit but they can still make it through."

I smile slightly. Damn.

"Y'know," I state, standing. "We should go get him a pizza."

"Aw, come on, I was gonna win!" Hair yells.

"It'll be quick, let's go."

Everyone groans and Matt, Elias, and Jovie run out to the car.

"Tony, take care of these two, I'll be back in about half an hour."

Tony only nods, too focused on his game, and I roll my eyes, running out the door and locking it behind me, hopping into the already backing-out truck and all of us heading to the nearest Little Ceasers. 

After picking up a large pizza, we all head to Wall's house, and when we arrive, it's actually a really decent house. It's brown with black bricks, a nicely cut lawn, and a clean driveway with a Jeep parked to the right. I climb out of the truck and grab the pizza box, and I wait for the others to get out, but instead, they close and lock the door.

"Uh, what?" I demand.

"You two need to have some alone time and hang out," Hair says. "We'll pick you up later!" And with that, he flies out of the driveway and disappears down the road.

These motherfuckers.

I sigh and nervously play with my hair as I walk up to the house, gently knocking on the front door. After about five minutes, the door opens, and a boy with messy black hair, shirtless and in sweatpants eating a bowl of popcorn is standing in front of me.

"Hey, you're cute," he comments.

My eyes widen and I grin. Like big brother, like younger brother. "Thanks, ditto."

He grins proudly.

"Is Haze here?"

"He's showering, but you can come in my room with me."

Oh, sweet baby Jesus.

"Dom!" a voice yells. We turn and the other twin runs up. This one's wearing a baggy t-shirt and basketball shorts. He looks at me. "Hey, you're cute."