chapter fifteen - make it up to me: part one

Haze

I arrive at Casey's house from my own quicker than you can blink. I had gotten her some flowers and donuts on the way over but still made it quicker than you can blink.

I knock on the door, as happy as ever because she doesn't hate me. Owen, the six-year-old, answers the door, and he frowns at me.

"You're the reason my sister's crying," he growls.

I sigh. "I know, but she invited me over and I brought these to surprise her." I take a glazed donut from the box and hold it out to him. "Want one?"

He hesitates, frowning at the donut, then back at me, then slowly takes it. "I still don't like you."

I smile and wink, walking in and kicking off my shoes after closing the door, giving Walsh and Tony each a donut before running upstairs and hearing music play from Kitten's room.

She must be playing her Mumford and Sons record because I can hear "Little Lion Man". I pause for a soft intake of air, then gently knock on the door, praying she's no longer crying. I hear soft pitter-patters of her feet on her hardwood floor and it makes me smile. The door opens not soon enough, Kitten standing in front of me in the sweatshirt she stole from me months ago on the third day we met.

"You wear that for me?" I tease.

She scowls. "Don't start, Beckett."

I gulp. She was still angry, obviously. I hold out her gifts. "I got you flowers and donuts."

Her eyes soften as she looks at me, then the food and flowers. "Stop buying me stuff," she whispers.

"No," I say stubbornly.

She frowns at me.

We stand in front of each other, just looking at each other for who-knows-how-long until I finally ask to come in, and she allows me.

We sit on her bed and dig into the donuts after she puts on a 1975 record.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" I ask after a few moments of just chewing.

She sighs and shakes her head. "No. Not right now, at least."

I sigh and close my eyes.

I hurt her.

I hurt her so bad.

"Are you gonna hug me or what?" she suddenly demands quietly.

I look at her, stunned a little, but relief rushes over me and I wrap my arms around her, tugging her into my lap. She squeaks softly as she lands in my lap, her hand on my chest, and I bury my hand to the side of her neck and press my lips to her cheek. She gasps softly, making my heart tug, and her small hand suddenly rests on mine, her fingers gently sliding in between mine, slowly leaning into me, and I bury my face into her neck, hugging her tight.

"God, I'm so fucking sorry, Kitten," I whisper.

"Shh... " she whispers, sounding strained.

Please don't cry, baby.

Honest to God, I cannot handle anymore crying.

I pull her tight against my chest, holding her as if she would be stolen from me the second I loosened my arms even the slightest.

"I'm gonna make it up to you," I whisper. "We're gonna have our own day today."

She peers up at me with an adorable expression on her face. "Really?"

I smile at her huge, green eyes. "Yes, Kitten."

She begins to smile and she sighs, snuggling closer to me. "Good."